Cancelling BA Avios Booking

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Harbord1
    Participant

I have a duplicate BA Avios booking in November and I wish to cancel the duplicate and get my miles back. There is nothing complicated about the booking -LHR-FNC-LHR and I would have thought I should be able to cancel/refund through the Manage Booking function. However when I follow the steps to cancel – even though the info says that miles will be refunded – I just get a rejection email saying….” Thank you for applying for a future travel voucher. Unfortunately, your booking isn’t eligible and we can’t exchange it for a voucher.” I don’t want a voucher – I want my Avios points back. I have tried to call but after hours of waiting – no answer. I have tried online chat but no chat agents available. Does anyone have experience of this and is there an easy solution ? I am worried that if I fail to cancel before departure I will lose my miles and BA will refuse to refund even though it is their failure leading to this situation.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

My advice would be to send your request to BAEC through your Exec club online portal / account & make sure you keep a copy of the correspondence and reference number. That way you have an audit trail that shows you made the request prior to your departure date. Perhaps also follow up with a hard copy in the post..

It should not be that difficult for BA….

ASK1945
    Participant

Harbord1 – Martyn’s advice is good.

I do note that you tried to contact BA by phone, but unsuccessfully. Last october I wanted to change an Avios return flight (with a Companion Voucher) but it became clear that this wasn’t possible online. Eventually, I was able to get through by phone: the adviser cancelled my booked flight and restored the Avios (and voucher) back to my account immediately. He told me that my Amex payment would be credited after a few days (which it was).

He then re-booked me on another (cheaper) return flight by taking the Avios and Companion Voucher from my account and taking another Amex payment afresh.

This was all done, acknowledged and ticketed immediately.

The first part of what I did is what you want. I hope you are successful.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

I had to cancel an Avios booking recently and also had the message about applying for a refund / voucher. I telephoned BAEC Gold on a Sunday and Avios were refunded as I spoke with the agent, and cash refunded to Amex next day.

Harbord1
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice. I just called up the Exec Club line again – just plain old Blue tier. I ignored the advice to only carry on with the call if your flight is departing in the next 10 days and amazingly…..the phone was answered pretty much right away. Even more incredible, the agent understood what I wanted, cancelled the booking and gave me an immediate mileage refund. RESULT ! Still seems amazing that it cannot be done online tho.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls