Cancelled an Avios booking…. with NO refund of Avios?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

SwissExPat
    Participant

I made a booking last month for 2 short haul seats with BA using 5,000 avios plus stg£85.

I cancelled these online.

After a few days I got a receipt email from BA saying I’d be refunded £35 but ” Regrettably, I must advise you that in accordance with the terms and conditions applicable to your booking there is no Avios refund against your ticket(s)…. “

I searched on Google to see what ‘charges and penalties’ applied to Avios cancellations but could not find anything about losing the underlying Avios.

Anyone any idea what has happened? This did not used to be the case.

BA744fan
    Participant

What was the route? 5,000 + £85 does not equate to any combination of Reward Flight Saver ticket options

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Really depends what route and more importantly, what availability.

BA have been very kind to me in the past. I really didn’t feel like flying to BRU the other week, so called BA and they allowed me to change the flight – and even didn’t charge me a £35 change fee.

My understanding is (but I am not 100% whether they do this out of kindness or not) is as long as there is availability on another day, you can change the flight for a fee of £35..

Depends how much you value the avios and the taxes paid….

Best though to call BA – get a good agent, they can be quite helpful… sometimes 🙂

rjhcambs
    Participant

We had to cancel 241 F to HKG last month. Cancelled on line and got the message BAEC would be in contact. After one week got my card refunded less £35×2 but no Avios refund. On contacting BAEC (less than 5 mins wait mid-morning!) I was told that there are sometimes problems with online cancellations. The result was that she credited my Avios while on the phone and also reinstated the Amex 241 voucher which I was not expecting. at the same time I cancelled HKG- SGN J paid tickets with Cathay and have been told it will take 5-6 weeks for the credit to come through.

SwissExPat
    Participant

London to Zurich is available using Avios as follows (1 Way)

£42.5 plus 2,400 Avios..

or

£17.5 plus 4,500 Avios

plus a few other options in between.

DerekVH
    Participant

I have cancelled a few flights which were booked with Avios, including some which were 241 and I have always been refunded but it sounds as if yours was not a straightforward Avios booking but one where you paid a fee _ Avios as opposed to Avios + taxes?

slotski
    Participant

Last Saturday I booked a one way Marrakech to LGW for the Monday. For 5,000 avios + £54. I called on Sandsy 25 hours before departure to cancel (online cancellation not available). 5,000 miles re credited within 10 minutes. Refund less £35, I was told will take a few weeks. The £15 call centre cancellation fee was waived as I was unable to cancel online.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls