Can I just skip the last leg of a BA journey?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)

• FDOS_UK
    Participant

To put this in perspective, Let’s assume that FDOS Enterprises sells 2 course ‘boil in the bag’ meals (mains and desserts) via pubs, with an RRP of £10.

One day, a punter buys a meal, but leaves the dessert.

FDOS Enterprises finds out and sends the pub a bill for an extra £10.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Of course airline pricing policies need to be tested in court. Is there any evidence that the current smartarse pricing policies are to the overall benefit of both travellers and airlines? A return from smartarse to straightforward might well help all parties, once we have all learned how to go manage in the “old normal”.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Why would BA mind if they billed a TA and the TA simply supplied the passengers credit card details for the re priced fare…

What I do find strange is that BA are chasing TA to re price fares, but they are letting other “shady TA” continually get away with selling shady tickets within the “grey” avios and airmiles secondary market…

@FDOS – I accept your point, but fair or unfairly – BA are trying to charge a TA the extra fare….in my opinion, the TA needs to reduce his risk exposure…. and could quite easily do so…

NTarrant
    Participant

The TA is in an awkward position really. Back in the 70’s and early 80’s in my travel agency days British Rail would bill the agent if you charged the incorrect fare. a lot of sales were people walking in off the street, where as others would be associated with customers other travel or business customers, but you could not pass this on as you would end up loosing customers.

I have long said that there is a danger of someone being charged if they fail to complete various legs on exEU fares. Eurotunnel were doing it 10 plus years ago on cheap day returns when the return leg was not used.

FDOS your boil in the bag meals, is that mains and dessert in the same bag!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

DavidGordon10 – 15/12/2015 22:06 GMT

I agree with you – not all airlines sell ‘smartarse fares’, though – Ryanair and easyJet spring to mind and those two companies haven’t done too badly over the years, especially the former.

MartynSinclair – 16/12/2015 00:23 GMT

I believe there is close to zero chance of BA pursuing an individual customer, as they would not wish to have their fare rules tested in a superior court.

I do agree that BA may be trying to change the behaviour of small travel agents by using risk as a lever, so two questions – (1) will they send ADMs to Expedia etc and (2) will they stop seling ex EU on ba.com?

NTarrant – 16/12/2015 02:49 GMT

The boil in the bag meals will be suppied in a thermos flask, as it can keep things hot and cold 😉

stevescoots
    Participant

FDOS, are the Thermos flasks available in both a plastic economy version and first class for the more discerning diner?

CXDiamond
    Participant

I don’t recall the detail at the moment but several years ago Lufthansa were taken to court in Germany over this very issue and they lost and were also prevented from disadvantaging any other business by the ruling. I’m pretty sure that if BA were taken to court in the UK the same thing would happen.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

CXDiamond – 16/12/2015 08:57 GMT

You are right – IIRC, it was a lower court (like the small claims) and thus the ruling was not binging in higher courts, but it did prompt LH to start offering (very expensive) tickets, which allow for the use of the coupons in any sequence.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

stevescoots – 16/12/2015 07:36 GMT

The flasks are

1 – Economy – food only, no flask (messy, but saves 50p)
    2 – Economy – garish plastic with a ‘I’m cheap’ logos on it
    3 – Premium economy – slightly larger flask, in a tasteful plastic
    4 – Business class – plastic that appears to be walnut
    5 – First class – chrome plated plastic

NTarrant
    Participant

FDOS are there no low cost versions?

Such as flask without lid £5.00, lid extra £1.00, buy at airport double the price?

Charles-P
    Participant

Some personal experience here to add to the discussion.

Two years ago I was a weekly user of the Channel Tunnel and would often fail to return on the day I had booked because of changed plans, nothing happened on the first eight or nine times I did this but then one day they emailed me saying I was breaking their terms of contract and if I did it again I would be charged extra. I replied saying I did not see how I could be charged extra for not using their train, for not costing them anything and for allowing them one further place to use or sell. I further said if they charged my credit card for any money I would refuse the cost with my credit card company and log it as a fraudulent charge.

I never heard from them again and they never charged me even though I continued to often miss return trips. I have now a member of staff doing the same who has also never been charged even though he misses perhaps 25% of his returns.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

The point that airlines with a simple pricing policy seem to be doing all right, is a good one (FDOS). Airlines like BA are using highly complex pricing algorithms that adjust prices to sales, that calculate that more of the higher price tickets will be sold if they are discounted a little for ex-EU pax, that calculate that the UK-based punters will suck up the higher prices, and so on and so on. It needs a clear look to see (1) if these processes actually make more money for the airline than a non-smartarse pricing policy would and (2) if they are legal.

This article – http://gu.com/p/4en88/sbl – is relevant.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Been out this morning. But I can confirm on some questions that at Amex and Flight Center Group in past roles (FCm, Corporate Traveller, Flight Centre) that they got ADM’s for missed legs or returns not being used. Same applies in current position.

BA now 100% audit every ticket sold. They outsource this process to an agency in India I believe who take a cut of any “discrepancy” found.

So I don’t know if an OTA like Expedia in UK can avoid these ADM’s (maybe they just take the hit and pay out of BA rebates for the sheer volume they produce).

Interestingly – US OTA’s when you ask for a one way in Business NYC-LHR will sell a cheap return leg in economy that has no plans to be used (and website won’t even show consumer what “return” flight has been booked) to sell lower fares. Had a client ask me why our fare was higher a discovered it was because of this – no way I could offer that knowing return would not be used. Unless laws in US are different – or something like this has been tested in court already – potentially a different regulation for tickets sold in the US.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Isn’t it sometimes cheaper to go to the north of England than Scotland on the train (from London). What would happen if you purchased a ticket to Glasgow and got off in England. Would you be let through the ticket barrier?

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Martyn

When it comes to trains – as long as you have a Saver Ticket (or any non Apex/booked train ticket) you are allowed to break the journey on the same day on the outbound and once on the return (which could be several days – up to 1 month as validity of these tickets). Barriers might not work – but staff would have to let you through. Nothing to prevent you from doing this and I had an issue with Southern where they illegally refused to sell me a ticket which came with a profuse apology from the MD when I highlighted this (even though staff at Victoria threatened to call police on me – even though they were in the wrong). Had I had time (was with my partner) I’d have happily explained situation but more pressing was train was leaving in a couple of minutes and my partner just wanted to get home.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 110 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls