California OKs Funding for LA-San Fran High Speed Rail Project

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

This is terrific news on many levels, particularly following disappointment sin Florida over a similar plan.

The US is heavily relaint on airlines and on such highly trafficked routes the pollution, expense and hassle experienced is not inconsiderable. A rail-based alternative is welcome.

http://www.cahighspeedrail.ca.gov/

Currently the only real High Speed connection is between Philadelphia, DC and NYC (though it’s not that fast).

The final cost of this new link will be $68 billion.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you for sharing this, and a nice slightly different kind of thread. This looks to be an attractive option when (and I hope not if) it becomes a reality.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I doubt it will prove popular. US train services are rubbish as they dont have a regular train services throughout the day. I tried to book 3 tickets to from clevland to Detroit and the only service available was one at 3am then you had to change to get a bus for 1 hour of the journey very cheap at the last minute about $50 . The second time i had to book a ticket from Montreal to Quebec they quoted me $260 same as a flight.

TominScotland
    Participant

Becky, I hardly think that the US rail companies are responsible for pricing between Montreal and Quebec!! Notwithstanding this, high speed rail is altogether a different kettle of fish to the existing Amtrak services in the US, I think!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes, I think this, if completed, could be a sea-change in US attitudes towards rail which at present align very closely with BB’s perspectives.

LeTigre
    Participant

Don’t get too carried away on this one, only the first phase has been authorised and the whole line between LA and San Francisco won’t be operational for about 30 years. Plus, the other phases might get canceled-knowing how much Americans love their trains!

The first phase has an exceptionally small catchment population and includes nowhere exciting.

By that time China will have vacuum tunnel trains ruining at a thousand miles an hour!

Communipaw
    Participant

I don’t believe it will ever happen. California is in such a terrible financial mess as it is. As of today three majors cities within the state have declared bankruptcy.

HSR is a nice idea…but unfortunately it will remain a dream.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Would be great. I know some highspeed rail connctions in Germany, like Cologne-FRA airport in about 50 minutes.
    I am not a green person, but such rail links make sense: city to city, cheaper, less pollution, no airport parking issues, more comfort.

Hope the idea will materialize, but 68 bn USD….thats about 2,7 bn in interest per year, roughly 7,4 mio uSD/day just for capital cost, without operational cost, so it needs a high number in pax and loadfactor….mmmmhhhh….scratching my head

VintageKrug
    Participant

Well, they’ve signed off the money….let’s hope it comes to fruition.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And here’s a very interesting article on high speed rail in the US. It would be super of BT did an article on Amtrak, and particularly focussed on the Acela and the proposed Californian proposal:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/02/08/u_s_high_speed_rail_map_artist_alfred_twu_s_alternate_reality.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls