Cable calls for expanion of BHX to solve airport capacity crisis

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

As a follow on from the existing thread re LHR’s third runway, comes news that Vince Cable is calling for an expansion of Birmingham airport to alleviate the capacity crisis.

It’s posted on The Times website behind a paywall.

There is a problem right now at BHX in that the runway cannot handle flights of much over 8 hours so fine for non-stops to the Gulf or US East Coast. But no good for non-stops to the US West Coast or SE Asia.

A project was unveiled last March to improve the surrounding road network to allow for airport expansion.

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/03/19/birmingham-airport-in-65m-plan-to-allow-expansion/

If it is ever built, the HS2 station for Birmingham would be located close by so London could easily be accessed.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

BHX has shelved its own proposals for a second runway; they were included in the Draft Master Plan which followed on from the (I think) 2004 Airports White Paper. However, this was then dropped and not included in the current, approved Master Plan. Without a second runway, BHX’s potential to contribute to the capacity needs of the South East will be severely hamstrung, in my opinion. Furthermore, any new runway will have to be located in a constrained and environmentally sensitive location (to the south of the A45, for those who know the area).

It is proposed that HS2 be linked directly to BHX via an extension to the existing monorail system, although this will have to be vastly improved to meet the increase in required capacity (it is currently a bit of a “toy” and only runs between BHX and International Station.

The whole impact of connectivity with HS2 is being looked at locally at the moment. One of the major issues is going to be the impact on the M42 in terms of traffic flows, as it is expected to negate the capacity gains the motorway has recently achieved through the implementation of the Highways Agency’s Active Traffic Management (Hard Shoulder Running) scheme.

Overall, there are a lot of interesting things proposed (and starting to happen) associated with BHX. However, the Airport Company doesn’t always appear to be sufficiently growth-orientated. Indeed, from an Airport Company perspective, the Business Case for the runway extension is, I understand, “marginal.” However, from a West Midlands economic recovery stance, it is seen by Local Government and Business as “essential.”

They are certainly interesting times around here.

Regards, Simon

(Edited once)

Bucksnet
    Participant

Cable is an oaf!

VintageKrug
    Participant

Absolutely.

I read his book two years ago, as I thought he sounded good and had some portentious views on the financial crisis.

Sad to say his performance in government has been less than stellar; probably peaked too late.

It’s all about the South East.

Bucksnet
    Participant

It seems we agree on something VK.

Tim2soza
    Participant

A little unfair on the Oafs.

ChrisEvans9
    Participant

as I thought he sounded good and had some portentious views on the financial crisis.http://www.avufo.info/g.gif%5B/img]

esselle
    Participant

Completely off piste, but agree fully with the “oaf” bit.

Why do politicians open themselves to ridicule so much these days by spouting opinions to the media, which appear to be only that, ie not reflecting policy or thinking of the government of the day and, at the same time, showing themselves to have no understanding at all about the subject they are banging on about?

Good example recently was Cameron saying the LIBOR fix had impacted thousands of peoples’ mortgages. Whilst technically correct, it could be no more than a few pounds a year on an average loan.

cityprofessional
    Participant

1. How would expanding BHX solve the airport crisis in London?*
    2. Who wants to fly from BHX?
    3. Where is BHX? Is it north of the Watford Gap?
    4. Who cares what Vince Cable says?

*NB I am not at all anti regional airports! I recently had the pleasure of flying from SOU to BOD, and it was a complete joy – Waterloo to the airport station in an hour. 10 yards from the platform to the terminal. No lines to check in, or for security. 20 yards from the terminal to the plane. No delays in or out. Arriving back, it was 20 minutes from touchdown, clearing immigration, picking up checked luggage and strolling back onto the railway platform. Highly, highly recommended

Bucksnet
    Participant

Indeed, SOU is a useful alternative airport for London. I’ve been there myself and have no complaints, however the train service could do with speeding up somewhat.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Esselle, in answer to your question, they don’t know much about the portflio they hold and never have done. When did we last have an oilman as energy minister, when did we last have a career diplomat as foreign secretary etc etc?

As to LIBOR, I have to disagree (for the first time) with you! They didn’t pay a few pounds more, they paid a few pounds less 😉

The pressure on the banks was to lower the rate which must have meant lower borrowing costs so I really (like you ) don’t see what all the fuss is about! Anyway, I’m quite happy paying just 0.73% on my HSBC mortgage!

Back on piste. The frightening thing about so many politicians having no expertise in their appointed field is that decisions are often knee jerk reactions to perceived public opinion. And where does that opinion come from, usually the press who often have their own agendas to fill.

While the idea of expanding BHX may be a good one (and I’m not supporting the idea here at all), Cable has not thought through the implications, one of which is that the majority of visitors to the UK for either pleasure or business, come to London.

People, including on this forum, moan about transiting into LHR and out of LGW, imagine the howls if they had to go through BHX.

What the UK needs, is a co-ordinated transport policy and an airport to match. Be that LHR expansion or Thames Estuary does not really matter (though I go with LHR expansion as it’s already there and would be quicker) just get on with it like AMS, CDG, ZRH, MXP and FRA to name a few have done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls