Bypassing hotel front desks: Finally

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

WANTITFAST
    Participant

Now road warriors can use new hotel front desk bypass services. No more lines or waiting. FINALLY!

The most incredible one is now offered by Holiday Inn. It is called Mobile Key by Openways.

You get your room number and your hotel key securely sent to your cell phone.

When you get to the hotel you go straight to your room and open the lock with your cell phone.

You can see it in action on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z26EJ9Cl2E

And it works with all cell phones: Way to go

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Really? is it secure?!? I have my doubts!

d1rector
    Participant

What astonishes me is why there is any demand at all for service industry outlets that offer – essentially – no service: the absence of human interaction to serve and assist. Why does anyone want to stay in such dismal circumstances??!

RichHI1
    Participant

Yes d1rector. There are a number of properties that I use frequently where the valet parking give me my room pack and key and get bags sent direct. After a long flight, standing in the Platinum line waiting whilst some bozo asks every possible question for every activity within 50 miles is not my idea oif human interaction. I dump the bags, freshen up and then experience the service in the bar normally and that works for me.

NTarrant
    Participant

It may be the way things are going, mobile technology and all that jazz, but somehow I agree with D1rector. You can have an automated check in with Formula1 hotels.

Not sure if this is in the UK but I would think that security will be an issue until it is a proven method

RichHI1
    Participant

The establishments where I use it are not really automated as the bell captain checks the credit card and ID (even though they know me) when they bring up the bags. Also the Valet Staff at properties in question know me.

It raises an interesting point about one’s perception of what is a good hotel. A lot of my US friends like fuss and bother. The more fuss an hotel makes the more they like it as it flatters their ego. You can read the trip reports about people lauding waiters walking into pools in uniform to serve drinks. For me the sign of true quality in an hotel is total efficiency with minimum fuss. If I never have to wait for anything and it all seems effortless as if the hotel has down nothing for me then that is a good hotel. It is about where is the added value. I check in, all I want is my key so why do I need to line up to talk to a front desk person? I would much rather they doubled the concierge and telephone staff so when I want a dinner reservation tonight at Le Bernardin or my pillows change to feather free as per my reservation, they happen instantly with no fuss.

AlanReynolds1
    Participant

In Travelodge, when you have pre-paid, you can insert your credit card in a machine which dispenses the room card. Last time I stayed in one, I spoke to no staff at all – either on arrival or departure.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls