businesstraveller.com/welldone

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

continentalclub
    Participant

OK, not a real URL, but I couldn’t think of a better thread title.

I’ve just had an email from East Coast Trains in the UK. Not only am I immmensely impressed by it, but it occurred to me that the forum often features the slings and arrows of discontent, but much less often acts as a stage upon which we can congratulate great service. I know that that it’s human nature to complain more often than we congratulate, but perhaps we can encourage our travel suppliers by recognising the good ideas that they have, as well as the bad?

If we can share examples of best practice, then we can maybe offer more of our business to those who demonstrate it?

I’m not thinking so much about individual acts of kindness, nor unsustainable rule-bendings (however welcome they may have been at the time). I’m thinking more about policies and practices that we come across that we approve of; ones which we’re assured are consistent and that we can confidently recommend to each other.

Perhaps we could even have a spot in the print magazine for the most customer-friendly policy or corporate action/decision each month? It might be nice to share some good news.

Anyway, back to East Coast Trains, of whose loyalty programme ‘Escape’ I am a member. The programme offers frequent travellers a selection of discounts and a number of free tickets per year. It’s not the most sophisticated of programmes, nor the most generous, but today’s email shows, I think, great commercial savvy and a real understanding of the mood of their members and the opportunity that they have to conquest more domestic travel business from the airlines:

Thank you for your patience… Here’s an extra trip for you to enjoy

Dear Mr Continentalclub

It’s been a difficult time for transport the world over and we want to thank you for your patience as someone who booked to travel during this busy period.

As a result of the volcanic ash all internal flights were grounded in the UK for a whole week in April, which resulted in an influx of passengers onto our trains. As someone who booked to travel with us over this period, you may have felt the effect of this on your journey.

Over this period we carried over 32,000 extra passengers and did everything we could to manage the unexpected level of demand; we provided 27 additional services between London and Edinburgh and 36 extended services between London and Newcastle through to Edinburgh.

However, we recognise that this unprecedented level of demand may have had an impact on thecomfort of your journey so we would like to show our appreciation for your patience by giving you:

an extra [free First Class] Travel for One voucher on your escape account.

This voucher is valid for bookings made before 01/02/2011 whether or not your membership is current on the day of travel.

We look forward to seeing you on board again soon and having the chance to offer you a more comfortable journey, and a true East Coast experience.

Thank you again for being so patient,

Yours sincerely

Marketing Planning Manager

East Coast Main Line Company

I’d love to read about others’ experiences of great policies and procedures!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

CC – great idea for a thread where we can post our positive travel experiences.

This Forum does tend (for obvious reasons) to focus on the negative most of the time.

Tom – can we keep this as a kind of permanent “in box” where we can share the good things that happen (more often than perhaps we realise or admit) to us when we travel?

Simon

continentalclub
    Participant

Thanks Simon – I’m sure that we all come across great ideas frequently – and if we don’t share them then there’s not as much incentive for the providers of them to retain them and for their competition to imitate them.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

I’ll start with the much-maligned BA on an evening flight LHR-MAD on 25th Feb, delayed like many others around that time by the French ATC strike. The T3 experience was less than savoury it has to be said, with security looking like a course on combatting your fear of claustrophobia, then the indignity of a remote stand, the bus stop to which brought the news of the estimated 2 hour delay. Once through all that and the elements between bus and aircraft the excellent service delivered by the captain and cabin crew completely turned things round. The captain, who addressed the passengers on the PA with the cockpit door open and facing down the aisle from his seat, had the perfect combination of professionalism and personal attentiveness. He explained fully the background to the delay and possible options plus actions that were being considered or taken, with pros, cons and reasons for deciding for or against each. He also invited passengers with any queries on connections etc to come up and discuss these with him, although the cabin crew also came through to do the same. In the meantime we were served refreshments. In the end we got an earlier slot than estimated and the delay was around one hour, but the service from the crew meant that nobody was that bothered, and everyone made their connecting flights, some of which to be fair had also been delayed into MAD anyway.

I have to say that you just don’t get this kind of personal, customised approach from train operators compared with airlines. The equivalent of the captain sticks to a “This was due to xxx, we apologise for any inconvenience caused” style script which just comes across as plastic and manufactured, almost as bad as the automated system like at Gatwick etc rail station.

continentalclub
    Participant

It seems to be a good day for emails at Continentalclub Towers. It ends with a missive from Hyatt:

It has been quite some time since you last visited Hyatt™ to enjoy the benefits of your Hyatt Gold Passport™ membership. Because we value our relationship, we invite you to receive a free night award when you complete an eligible stay through July 09, 2010. Once you have completed a stay, your free night award will be good through November 30, 2010.

Checking the Ts&Cs, an elgible stay is just one night and I am, for reference, a most lowly Gold Passport member. Hyatt is not a brand that I tend to seek out all that often, but recent Hilton devaluations and a questionable Priority Club experience does mean that I’m in the market for new possibilities and I like Hyatt’s apparent eagerness to get me to try them again with what seems like a very generous offer.

Henryp1
    Participant

British Airways
    Superb trip in April to Dubai, with usual high standard in CCR and fabulous 1st cabins, unfortunately not the new ones. But professionally well managed and intuitive service. Flight back directly after the opening air space without any hassle. Lucky or expected normal service, whatever greatly appreciated. Well done BA.

AnnChan
    Participant

Booked 2 cheapie Hotels in Italy via Expedia, using a ‘don’t even think about a refund if you cancel’ special rate. When the sky broke down, I called them and it took exactly 2 minutes to cancel everything with no questions asked, and process a full refund.

Then, 1 week later, I get an email from Expedia:

Dear AnnChan,

We appreciate that the last couple of weeks have been difficult as the travel industry has been getting to grips with the aftermath of the Icelandic volcano eruption. We realise that your recent trip may have been disrupted and, as a gesture of goodwill, we have credited your Expedia account with a £50 voucher (terms and conditions apply) to spend on your next booking. The voucher can only be redeemed against new bookings until 31st May 2010.

Wow. I love that Volcano!

Even Ryanair refunds were fuss-free and painless! That’ll be Mr O’Really?’s single-minded focus on customer satisfaction shining through…………..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I won’t post this one again, but reminded by CC, here is the link to another recent experience on Virgin, with staff exceeding all expectations

When things go wrong…Virgin inaugural flight from Accra

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/When-things-go-wrong….-Virgin-inaugural-return-flight-from-Accra

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls