Bus Transfer To Plane v Airbridge

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

• bluemooner
    Participant

I used to get annoyed when I arrived at an airport and we were on a remote stand requiring a bus to take us to the terminal.
    However now I am in my 60s, and with larger terminals requiring what appears to be anything up to a mile of walkways, I am beginning to welcome the bus transfer which at most airports seems to bring you to a terminal entrance near to passport/luggage collection.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Yes, we are walking miles nowadays. I still hate the bus however, particularly when boarding as not only we are packed in a bus, but we have to wait either for other passengers to join or for the cleaning staff to finish their job.

BugAdvisor
    Participant

London Heathrow Terminal 3. The bus always stops at the same place – an entrance about a mile away from passport control. The only benefit of the bus is lost by this stupid system.

Bus door opens. Driver unlocks entrance doors. Passengers swarm through and up escalator No.1. A short walk to escalator No.2. Enter the airport terminal corridor and it’s at least four moving walkways past pictures of open armed, smiling Londoners saying ‘Welcome to Heathrow’ – welcome indeed.

A right turn down a corridor leading to passport control. On your right, the useless group who are supposed to offer special assistance, but who rarely turn up, sit and chat.

The sign for EU passports directs passengers down steps. I take my bag on wheels down the non EU slope and double back a few metres to the EU electronic passport lane. Don’t try and use Fast Track as they only allow non-EU passports through!

Half an hour of queuing later and down an escalator. No I don’t want a ticket on the over-priced Heathrow Express! Baggage reclaim and customs. Mini airside non-duty free. No I don’t want a ticket on the over-priced Heathrow Express!

Taxi calls to say he can’t pick up from outside as T3 rules don’t allow pick ups. Up an elevator, along a bridge to the car park. Wait for taxi, who subsequently adds several pounds to the bill for parking fees.

Join the M25 traffic jam.

Welcome to England!

openfly
    Participant

lHR T3 connections buses and routing have changed. The walk is much longer now and, of course, forces you to walk through the expensive junk shops!

1 user thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

If travelling Business I like it only if there is a bus reserved for Business Class travellers as I also dislike the scrum to get on and then off, with all advantage of being upfront being lost. Both Milan and Zurich offer this, with Swiss at least, and you are dropped close to the transit / exit area in Zurich or the Baggage reclaim at MXP.

I hate it though when it comes to boarding, as you still have to walk miles and then it’s the free for all to board. Worse, in case of inclement weather, having disgorged you the bus goes off leaving you totally exposed to the elements. Worse, even if there is a rear entrance to board no announcement is made on the bus so everyone boards at the front. Even having seat 1A is of no advantage if at the back of the queue. I wish there was a Business Class bus to board with perhaps strict criteria, board within a 10 minute window or else get the other bus.

esselle
    Participant

LP

Fully agree. BA buses are a nightmare, but eg EK and QR strictly segregate buses for F and J pax.

I remember once being the only passenger travelling F on EK from DXB to BKK. I offered to travel in the J bus but they insisted I went in the F bus. Which I therefore did. On my own.

canucklad
    Participant

I have to say that as I grow older (alas not wiser)my pet hates grow at an alarming equivalence.

The latest to make it onto the burgeoning list is the EDI travellators.

I’m fit and it’s still a hike to get to the furthest away gates were the majority of FlyBe and other LCC’s depart/arrive from.

To their credit the architects realised this and included travellator’s.

What a contemporary idea for a modern state of the art ever expanding airport’ here in the 21st century .
    Last sentence said with mocking sarcasm, for 2 reasons.

A) Is for Annoyance that the last 3 times I’ve been in that part of the airport they were taped off !! “Out of Order “ signs asking for forgiveness as they encourage everyone from toddlers to coffin dodgers alike to participate in the daft fad of counting your daily steps.
    B) Is for Bewilderment at the architects /designers of the pier. If they deem it to be a long, long trek from the shopping district to the furthest gates that it requires travellators , then surely you ensure you create a space that allows travel in both directions. After all, people arrive as well as depart in the same space? Bonkers.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=898142]I used to get annoyed when I arrived at an airport and we were on a remote stand requiring a bus to take us to the terminal. However now I am in my 60s, and with larger terminals requiring what appears to be anything up to a mile of walkways, I am beginning to welcome the bus transfer.[/quote]

I understand you. The other day I had to walk – yet again – what seemed about a mile to the usual gate to get on CX to Hong Kong in Heathrow Terminal 3. It does get wearying with heavy cabin baggage AND, key point, when none of those small post-security trolleys are available (which to me seems less often/ rarely in T3 these days). On the other hand I don’t like climbing stairs into a plane with said cabin bag! Can’t win!

capetonianm
    Participant

Some airports keep you standing in a freezing cold or boiling hot airbridge for an absurd length of time, even if you have priority boarding. My pet hate is being jostled by other people when I’m forced to stand in a queue. I say airport as it does seem to be determined by the airport handling agents’ policies rather than the airline, at least at outstations.

As others have said, it infuriates me when priority boarding pax are given priority boarding onto the bus, and then the masses get on, and when the doors are opened, it’s a free-for-all to get to the aircraft, with no attempt at segregation.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Much prefer bus at T5 as no train/escalator treck..

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=898427]As others have said, it infuriates me when priority boarding pax are given priority boarding onto the bus, and then the masses get on,[/quote]

When I know there is a bus transfer, always wait to board the bus last. Only exception is if I need an overhead and then I will wait to board the first bus last…

[quote quote=898253]After all, people arrive as well as depart in the same space? Bonkers.[/quote]

Thought airports were meant to be modernised so inbounds and outbounds no longer mix

[quote quote=898260]It does get wearying with heavy cabin baggage[/quote]

You could always check your bags in to save the schleep 🙂

maxgeorge
    Participant

Sums it up nicely.

Then add the hike to T2’s B gates.

And the pocket sized lifts with the baggage cart pushing mobs lined up waiting for them.

Whoever designed the new T2 should have gone to Changi or the rebuilt Bradley terminal at LAX beforehand to see how to build for convenience rather than contemporary design awards.

GivingupBA
    Participant

GivingupBA wrote:
    It does get wearying with heavy cabin baggage

You could always check your bags in to save the schleep 🙂[/quote]

Thanks and yes, I could, but I once lost a huge suitcase arriving at JFK at Christmas – never got it back – it was stuffed full of Christmas presents and I don’t want a repeat. (I’ve had other bags inconveniently delayed, causing problems for me, though I got them back). My cabin baggage is heavy for me but always within every airline size and weight limits.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=898427]As others have said, it infuriates me when priority boarding pax are given priority boarding onto the bus, and then the masses get on, and when the doors are opened, it’s a free-for-all to get to the aircraft, with no attempt at segregation.[/quote]
    It can even be more subtle, when we have to queue at the foot of the airplane with temperatures below zero after having been baked in that bloody bus…

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Martyn
    To answer your question ,about separation, at EDI arriving domestic passengers arrive airside and eventually through the central departure lounge to get to domestic arrivals.
    Occasionally , you’ll get a bus direct to the domestic arrivals door, but it’s very few and far between. And if your arriving on BA, more likely to be a positioning flight onto a remote stand last thing at night.
    When me and my ex went to Madrid, I flew up from LHR and met her airside straight off my BA flight.
    She wasn’t happy because I had pre-planned and had packed my Madrid bag separately, leaving my London bag (2 weeks’ worth) down in the Big Smoke. She wasn’t happy because she had to carry her bag and my bag through security, consequently answering questions as to why she clearly had a bag with male stuff in it!

Departing, I’ll always go for an air bridge. Unlike others on the forum, I travel as light as possible so minimize the risk of not getting locker space. I let the desk know I’m there and when they agree give me a shout just before the dispatcher is ready. Walk on take your seat and fly off.

Buses also affect your nasal senses ….my last flight from the med, had us waiting in the baking sun.
    Some of my fellow passengers, clearly woke up late, some clearly didn’t have time for a decent wash, maybe some are full blown members soap dodger brigade. Anyway, the time spent sweltering outside the aircraft made for a rather pungent journey home.
    Incidentally—Grown men shouldn’t wear football replica kits, and 2 sizes to small should see them publicly flogged.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls