Build a Railway Station on the Elizabeth Line at London City Airport.

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• jwhi56
    Participant

London City Airport, TfL & Network Rail should build a Railway Station on the Elizabeth Line at London City Airport (3 letter airport code: LCY).

Before anyone tells me: I’m Aware of the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) station @ LCY.

The reasons for building this New Rail station are:

1. There is existing structure already at this site.

2. It would allow travellers from LCY to connect with No Changes on another Rail line in London from/to London Heathrow.

3. It would increase business/profit for LCY.

4. It would allow LCY to start flights to smaller UK/Ireland/European destinations, not currently connected to London: e.g.: Carlisle/Lake District airport, Exeter airport, Humberside airport, Waterford airport (South East Ireland) & Paris Le Bourget airport.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In an ideal world I am sure many people would agree.

But one must remember that LCY is located in an *environmentally sensitive area* and it’s been that way since LCY opened in the late 1980s.

LCY has had a strict curfew in place ever since it opened.

Indeed nowadays I doubt if LCY would even be built given today’s eco mood and the desperate need for new housing in the London area.

In 2023 LCY did set out its expansion plans but its application was rejected by Newham Council.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/newham-london-city-airport-planning-council-expansion-b1093414.html

Very soon after LCY lodged an appeal.

https://www.londoncityairport.com/media-centre/press-releases/london-city-airport-to-appeal-newham-council-decision

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

When they were designing the route of the Elizabeth line it would certainly seem that they should have added a stop at LCY between Custom House & Woolwich – perhaps there were engineering reasons that prevented this, I don’t know.

Now that the line is built, it would be very expensive to add an extension and station to what is really a very small airport with very limited expansion options (for the reasons outlined above) and an existing DLR station.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I suspect no station was added at LCY or Woolwich to keep costs within budget.

Yes originally there would not have been a Liz Line station at Woolwich.

But following much local opposition in 2001 the gov’t in 2007 said a new station at Woolwich could be built.

However the gov’t made no money available.

So the cost of Woolwich station was funded by Royal Borough of Greenwich and Berkeley Homes which had a large development adjacent to the station.

Check Ianvisits.co.uk below:

Crossrail Woolwich station left short of developer funding

Clay'
    Participant

There’s been calls to build an LHR-LGW rail link since the day dot & long before LCY existed. Still not even a pipe dream.

Many things ‘should’ be done. But them there all those cumbersome and annoying things like money, space to actually do ‘the thing’, environmental impacts and the such.

Have you considered that during planning of said line that myriad groups didn’t suggest, research & carry out numerous studies regarding said station. The fact it didn’t make the cut is likely to be for multiple reasons not just one.

Just cos X line now exists it won’t have removed most of those reasons and in such a location there’s no such thing as ‘just add it on’. The realignments alone would cost millions before you build the additional infrastructure itself. In ultra urban environments such undertakings often cost more than if created in the original project.

Justin Germany
    Participant

I actually sometimes take the DLR 2 stops to Woolwich, which is less than 5 mins, and then transfer to the Elizabeth line there (3 min walk).
    Given how expensive a new Elizabeth line station would be, combined with the fact that LCY is never going to carry too many more passengers than it already does, I can’t see any financial justification for a new station, given the already good transport links.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls