BT thoughts on aircraft type ..

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=917801]Thanks fellow flyers .. I won’t be staying in Barbados, I am connecting directly to Bequia and really looking forward to a beach retreat. The 787 is a great aircraft for the ventilation / moist air, and I have not yet done the A350.[/quote]

The A350 is the result of a strategy shift from Airbus when they realised they were totally wrong with the lorry (aka A380), while Boeing’s was right (B787). So they did not have the time to push the R&D as Boeing did. The result is visible: the A350 is only a pale copy of the B787. It remains a good aircraft, but doesn’t have these fantastic features the B787 introduced, notably the ventilation, as you mentioned, but also larger windows that darken, larger overheads compartments, …

capetonianm
    Participant

Watched a programme about the 380 last night. It affirmed what I’ve always thought, although I’ve not flown in one, it’s an ugly, misshapen clumsy looking thing, too ungainly to take to the air, quite the opposite of its sleek and slim sister the 340. I’m sure the 380 only takes off because it’s so hideous that the earth repels it.

I am told it’s very quiet and that of course is a big plus.

1 user thanked author for this post.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Just based on aesthetics alone, I m a big fan of the 747-800. Beauty of a plane.
    Cheers,
    -Rave

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Not sure I agree with either Swissdiver or capetonianm ……

I’ve flown on QR’s 787 and CX’s 350 and for whatever reason I definitely felt more refreshed after the CX flights, even although the CX flights were significantly longer in duration.

As for the 380, ugly it may be, but as they say ………. “ Beauty is only skin deep “

I’d choose the 380 over the 787/350 every single time.
    Sadly I’m speaking as a “Y” passenger here, but I’d love to see the airlines adopt a customer friendly cabin approach , rather than the “ cram them in, stack them high “ cynical approach they all seem to be moving towards.

The 380 would allow those airlines (Brave enough) the opportunity to create a game changing environment for those of us who can’t afford premium travel when flying for leisure …. And I’d argue that it’s not that difficult !!
    Not going to hold my breath though !!

As an aside capetonianm, the 380 is the only aircraft I’ve been on where I didn’t realise we had actually left terra firma until I looked out the window, very disorientating

2 users thanked author for this post.

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=917828]
    I am told it’s very quiet and that of course is a big plus.[/quote]

It is not. I prefer the noise of the engines compared to snoring and other not so appealing personal noises…

Swissdiver
    Participant

canucklad, I can see where you are coming from. The lorry’s large cabin offers space to walk and stretch. But it takes ages to embark and disembark. And the idea to have so many people around me is more annoying than anything else. And I find the air terrible on the A380.

esselle
    Participant

For me the interesting thing is the first flight on any type, be it A380 or L1011, or upper deck on a 747.

Once on board and settled into the cruise, I tend not to think too much about what I’m flying in. There were two though where I always remembered where I was; Concorde (which I loved), and the Dash-8 (which I hated).

traveldoc1
    Participant

LOVE the A380 (though have only experienced Emirates) dnd the A350. Hate the B777 and found the 787 underwhelming. So few fights now on 747s, but every time I do I’m reminded of the space they offered. Overall I tend to prefer Airbus over Boeing, especially narrow body. For Economy I also like the A330 in 2-4-2 over the 777 in 3-4-3.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

Having flown for some time exclusively on A380/350 – B787, I had forgotten just how noisey the B777 is untill recently.
    Presumably much of this noise is due to the’skin-friction’ of a riveted shell as opposed to the smooth surface of a ‘bonded’ one??
    BPP

sparkyflier
    Participant

Excellent topic Bullfrog and you started a great thread. Agreeing with others here, for many the journey is just as important as the destination..

Plane type is very much a consideration for me. On short haul there tends not to be much choice – A320 series usually, but in the past year or two have sought out flights on planes which were more comfortable or a greater ride – AA MD-80 & 757 & BA 767..knowing these were being retired and as they were great to fly! Agree with AMcWhirter about MD-80 – so smooth, quiet & nimble and have also been on Alitalia and AOM (anyone remember them?).

Re longhaul, love the A380 and been on BA & Qatar, and would prefer these to 787, 777 etc. Avoid 787- awful in Y and in any class you get those silly windows.. Air quality is good though, and have enjoyed RJ flights on these in J.

Prefer A350 to 787 and 330/340 to 777 etc – seating is great in all classes, and 2-4-2 in Y is something to look out for.

The 747s can be great but if course product is important too – not keen on VS J seating, and BA’s older ones are in a state- the refreshed ones are very comfy in Y and J. Of course the upper deck is THE place to be whatever the state!

Going back was so excited as a child to go on 747s and DC-10s- the latter on BCal, KLM, Swissair, Nigeria, Sabena, Northwest and Zambia Airways..great take offs, big windows and the 2 seats each side a treat.

Sadly never went on DC-8s but went on many 707s- mainly BCal.

Also on newer shorthaul, love the E190s and the new “A220” I would like to try- seating looks great and nice windows too.

Thanks again for starting this thread and some great posts and contributions.

capetonianm
    Participant

For sheer nostalgia the flights I remember with greatest fondness were on the VC10. I flew Blantyre – Amsterdam on Air Malawi’s, and LHR-NBO on BA and EAA, also Salisbury-London on BOAC VC10.

Then there was the Vickers Viscount, an unbeatable aircraft to fly on, Air Rhodesia, low and slow over the plains and mountains of central Africa and down to the coast at Lourenco Marques and Beira. Of course it became uneconomic when jets came along to fly twice as many people at twice the speed for half the fuel burn.

I hated TriStars, DC10/MD11, and never much enjoyed the Trident. BAC1-11 was a decent aircraft.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Just also want to heap more praise on the 767- BA may have retired theirs, but US carriers still have them and would seek these out, avoiding 787.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

[quote quote=918232]Sadly never went on DC-8s[/quote]

The later DC-8 versions were superior to the earlier ones in terms of looks and passenger appeal.

Here I’m referring to the DC-8-62/63 variants.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=918232]Also on newer shorthaul, love the E190s and the new “A220” I would like to try- seating looks great and nice windows too.[/quote]

I actually love the Flybe planes, and agreed sparkflyer , the Embraer family are great …. especially the type with the rear mounted engines, closest I’ve got to flying in a Lear jet : )

ghlotus
    Participant

I also will choose a 747 whenever possible. Best Biz Class seat in the sky is KLM 1A – downstairs on 747. Not a pod seat, but private and quiet, with a front window from which you can almost see straight ahead. Great legroom, and big Handy closet in front.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls