Bruised ego in need of sympathy

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• Anonymous

BABenji
    Participant

This morning was always going to be hectic…

an 8am conference call and I needed to leave the house by 9 to be at Heathrow by 10.30 to catch a flight to Brussels. Having packed and prepared yesterday, I felt ready for the day ahead. The conference all duly finished at 8.45am and I was in the car, making the 55 mile journey to T5.

Dropped the car at the Valet Parking and waltzed into Check In, feeling rather pleased that I would have a bit of time in the lounge for a bacon sandwich and read the papers.

As I walked up to the self-service check in my stomach turned. Something had happened to me that had never happened in nearly 8 years of international business travel – I had left my passport at home!!!

After years of silently sighing at the travelling amateurs as they struggled at check in, faffed about at security control, I too suddenly realised I was fallable.

Back to the Valet, collected my car and started the drive home, in the meantime got on the phone to the office to book me a new flight. Arrived home and collected passport, back into the car and round the M25 for the third time today and arrived back at the Valet Parking to the (I hope) sympathetic smiles of the staff who had taken my car from me and promptly returned it again.

So, while driving back to the airport I began thinking I can’t be the only person to have suffered a similar fate, so please, make me feel better with your own travelling mis-hap stories:

Have you ever arrived on the wrong day for a flight?
    Mixed a.m. with p.m?
    Thought you’d booked a flight, but really hadn’t?
    Or made some other balls-up which left you feeling rather deflated?

Happy travels all!

Travellator
    Participant

Made a BMi booking on Saturday printed off my booking summary and realised we had decided to stay the night before our onward flight to Europe the next day so I had booked the wrong day !

Cost me £ 20 for the privilege of changing the booking less than 10 mins after pushing the button – thanks BMi – BA give you a little bit of grace at least

Tim2soza
    Participant

Fell asleep in T4 BA lounge and missed my flight from LHR to Singapore. 12 hour wait for a Qantas flight.

PaulJennings
    Participant

Flew to CDG.

Exited plane, through Passport Control, out of airport, on to metro, to Gare Montparnasse, quick check of passport, money, rucksack, suitcase… suitcase… suitcase?

Back on to metro, back to CDG, back into airport, saw suitcase all on its own on the carousel, banged on glass door to attract the attention of armed policeman, explained the situation, went back in, picked up case.

Out of airport, on to metro, to Gare Montparnasse, bought new ticket for the first train that wan’t full – extended pause – arrived 8 hours late.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Went to Heathrow, flight booked from Gatwick.?
    Tom Otley

RBrown9
    Participant

I recently was booked on Emirates on a flight from Bahrain via Dubai to Bangkok. I had about a three hour transit in Dubai and spent that time in the First Class lounge (was booked in First Class).

I was told (later) that the flight was called once, about 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time. I did not hear this call and there were no further calls.

Realized later that I had not set my watch from Bahrain time to Dubai time (one hour ahead).

I was offloaded and had to wait twelve hours until the next flight.

Whilst embarrassed about missing the flight, I do feel that Emirates could have made more of an effort to ensure that I got on the plane. There could have been more than one call, they could have paged me or even tried to locate me (as I was registered in the lounge).

I do not know whether I am being fair in this view and wondered what others thought. Is it the sole responsibility of the passenger to ensure they board the flight on time or should the airline (particularly for premium pax) make some effort to remind passengers that they are about to miss the flight (particularly since pax can also make mistakes and given the consequences of missing a long haul flight). Any thoughts?

YorkshirePudding
    Participant

I too, have tut tutted at the ‘amateurs’ until I recently did what BAbenji did, and drove the 1.5 hours to Manchester airport from Leeds, arrived at the Lufthansa check in area & realised, with a jolt, that I had neglected to pack my passport……………A long journey back to Leeds & return to the airport, to find themid morning flight was cancelled….finally arrived in Germany 9.30pm

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Family holiday.

Got up at 4am with children, taxi to Gatwick.

At Gatwick check-in, wife’s passport running out in five months.

Six months required for entry into country in question.

Waited another two hours for taxi to return.

Same driver back home.

Nothing in fridge.

Deleted User
    Participant

You should have called this “what you do only once”

Checked in for a 00.45 departure 24 hours too late. Airline totally unsympathetic and were forcing me to buy a completely new ticket (one way in business class), until at the next check in desk, I overheard an off duty crew member in exactly the same position, so I went and stood next to him. Luckily that worked.

You only do that once!!

Bucksnet
    Participant

I believe that British citizens are allowed to have up to 6 passports.

Simply get a spare and keep it in your car’s glovebox. Simples.

BABenji
    Participant

marvelous stuff, which has made me feel alot better.

Bucksnet, believe it or not, I have two passports…neither of which found their way to my pocket this morning. As for leaving one in the glove compartment; I’m not sure that’s such a good idea. It seems to be inviting trouble…somewhat like giving a laptop to a drunk civil servant with an oyster card!

Binman62
    Participant

Arrived at Heathrow with then girl friend having taken full control of planning and execution of holiday. Swanned up to business class checkin all very smug and impressive, only to find passports were 30 miles away. Dashed out of terminal 3 leaving girl friend, flagged down a passsing private cab ( would not happen today I fear) who did the return journey in 50 mins!!!!. Made flight and then sat in silence for 10 hours to Bangkok….. Now married to same women!!!

robsmith100
    Participant

I had a very bad experience last month at a job interview with an major uk airline. To cut a long story short, I forgot my passport which they had to see to prove i could work in the uk. The lovely lady from HR had to make a show of it in front of the other candidate and everyone in reception.

Needless to say i didnt get the job.

Senator
    Participant

Hello,

Booked a pre-paid rate at Hilton Newark Airport and showed up one day too earlier trying to check in. Ended up paying full price for the “right” night. To my surprise, HH had policy of one “get out of jail free card” for Diamond VIPs. Got the cash back within two weeks.

Check-in desk and I spent a good 5min trying to understand why on earth they couldn’t check me in 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls