British Midland Diamond Euroclass

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

Looks like the bombers can be put back in the hangar…

sparkyflier
    Participant

I recall the first issue of Business Traveller that I ever read was in the early/mid 80s, and an article in it was comparing the breakfast offerings (with pics) of the different airlines (and trains)flying from London up to Scotland. I think it included BA, British Midland, maybe Air UK and the trains.

It was like 4 “Tried and Tested” of the different products competing with each other for similar services, at the same times, in the same week.

I seems to recall that British Midland won hands down!

Shame that an airline that was so right, went so wrong, and when maybe it started going right again, it was too late.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

‘m not so sure Skyguy, BA has been around a long time, and a lot longer than most scheduled airlines, stretching back to the old Imperial Airways days way back. They are tough old birds (pardon the pun) who know how to win a fight without bleating the way Branson continuously does.

At the end of the day BD was not able to turn a profit in these tough times and as much as many of us may have loved them, without making profits they simply could not survive.

If the EU refused this takeover Lufthansa would let them go bust. Far worse for the staff, and guess who would pick up the bits they wanted, BA of course and probably for less money.

After Branson did not put up, it was obvious BA would get it, and sure, they will be absorbed as BCAL was but that’s the way of business.

Besides, there’s nothing to stop Virgin starting services on the EDI, Glasgow routes etc with the extra slots he says he will acquire, but since he’s not using his own slots, and leasing them out, I doubt this very much indeed!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Well done Terry McManus for remembering the BCal line “We never forget you have a choice”! The other thead about favourite airline TV ads got me to think back to the “old days” of BCal.

And thank you Lugano reminding us that Virgin has not been using its own slots, and leased them out, and therefore has no right to whinge about not having enough slots to expand etc.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

Now if this had been said a few weeks ago and Etihad had been suggested before their deal with Air Berlin it might have been something to believe. I think some of BDs best days were when James Hogan was in charge. Now, I think it’s a done deal and IAG will get clearance very quickly.

skyguy79
    Participant

A sad day for Aviation as DiamondJet finally dies a slow death……..If I had had the cash, it would have been a different story ! Maybe a BD2 will be created by creative types who bring the brand back ?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls