British Airways December Sale

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

Airtraffic21
    Participant

Hi everyone,

first time poster on BT and sorry if this is a question that has already been asked but following a huge sting in the tail last night by the wonderful Avios I’m now curious to find out if there will be a sale this December with BA.

I was gathering up all my air miles to take my wife and I away to New York for a trip in February to celebrate our anniversary. My plan to book with cash and upgrade with air miles to CW. When I checked on Tuesday it was £1382 all in for the flights however I log on yesterday and it was coming out at £2384!!!!

Shocked at this I called Executive Club only to be told that I was able to get the £1382 price as when the Winter Blues Sale actually ended they kept the prices the same for a following 7 days(very convenient and surely not legal in some way??).

Rant over, I would really love if someone in the know would be able to tell me what the chances of a sale around xmas would be. The guy on the phone last night hinted at it however I feel he was just trying to fob me off.

As a huge fan of BA this has left a very sour taste in my mouth and put a dampener on my forthcoming trips.

Thanks Guys,

AT21

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

What’s your problem?

Prices aren’t guaranteed until you book and you didn’t.

olliewb
    Participant

There is normally another sale around Boxing day.

Airtraffic21
    Participant

My problem is that an increase of more than £800 in 24 hours is a bit extreme. In all my years of buying tickets I’ve never seen it rise so sharply. Its not even due to capacity as I tried booking on various dates etc and the higher rate is now the lowest price.

You cant tell me that an increase of £800+ overnight is normal and acceptable.

Airtraffic21
    Participant

Thanks OllieWB. I’m hoping that they’ll put a sale out before xmas so I can have it all booked up for a surprise.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“You cant tell me that an increase of £800+ overnight is normal and acceptable.”

Then you are either naive or an idiot.

I’ve experienced much larger rises in smaller time periods, with a whole range of airlines, the steps between fare buckets can be steep.

Written by someone who isn’t a big BA supporter, but who fails to see what they did wrong in this instance.

Airtraffic21
    Participant

I feel you are unable to see the point here. There is no reason for the price to go up. There hasn’t been a massive intake of people buying tickets etc on this route as its the same for numerous flights and dates.

All I’m saying is that it feels strange that at the same time Avios comes into play there is also a huge hike in prices.

Anyway, easy to see you are more interested in personal insults than actually giving any input so thank you for your time.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

“I feel you are unable to see the point here.”

No, that would be you.

What has happened is that one or more fare buckets are no longer available and the airline has quoted you for what is available.

“All I’m saying is that it feels strange that at the same time Avios comes into play there is also a huge hike in prices. “

Some people say the CIA demolished the WTC towers.

“Anyway, easy to see you are more interested in personal insults than actually giving any input so thank you for your time.”

You wrote “You cant tell me that an increase of £800+ overnight is normal and acceptable.”

I said that “Then you are either naive or an idiot.” I hold this to be fair comment and not an insult, just a statement of fact.

I am sure some other posters have also had the experience of fares rising by huge amounts when fare buckets are no longer available, which is the input I gave you in my last post, which you seem to have trouble understanding.

I suspect you have not booked many air tickets in comparison to some on this forum.

Airtraffic21
    Participant

“What has happened is that one or more fare buckets are no longer available and the airline has quoted you for what is available.”

I must bow down and say you may be right however even the BA Executive guy sounded miffed at the rise.

“I suspect you have not booked many air tickets in comparison to some on this forum.”

I suspect you’re right, this may be down to the fact that I’m lucky enough to still be in my early twenties.

All in all thank you once again for your feedback and input, I must say it has made me chuckle and pass what is another boring sit in the departures lounge.

😉

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

You might find the link below interesting, although it is rather abridged.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3073548/ns/business-us_business/t/inside-mysteries-airline-fares/

Airtraffic21
    Participant

Thank You,

It looks as if the system is too complicated to grasp. I can only hope that a BA Xmas sale appears so I can use my airmiles.

VintageKrug
    Participant

British Airways celebrates Christmas, not Xmas.

Wait until December 26th; you should get a nice fare in the sale.

You’ll also be pleased to learn that since the change to Avios, the upgrade will cost you just 10,000 Avios per sector per person, down from 12,500.

Personally, I’d pay for http://www.newclubworld.com which should be around £1500 each and upgrade the outbound to http://www.ba.com/first so you can use the Concorde Room.

Do consider exEurope fares as an alternative (see passim) and also bundled hotel/flight packages which can often be bargainacious:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/luxury-holidays-new-york/public/en_gb

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

As a rule of thumb Airtraffic21, BA will have a sale when there is an “r” in the month plus the summer months May through August.

BGIWorldTraveller
    Participant

Last two years in a row, there has been a sale Christmas week, commencing around Christmas Eve

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls