British Airways B777-200 (Four class) World Traveller Plus (premium economy)

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I connected to my Heathrow – Bahrain flight from a domestic connection.When i arrived in T5, the gate was not posted so I headed for the First Lounge for a coffee and juice. The Gate appeared as C55 so I decided to head over to the C Gates in good time. I checked in the Lounge about facilities at C Gates (knowing the answer but wanting to see whether the Starbucks option would be mentioned – it was not!). However, I was fully enlightened as to how the system works at Starbucks and bought myself a couple of things – not up to my full £15 value, I have to say

Boarding was so quick that I hardly had to break my step before heading onto the aircraft. I was directed to my seat on entering and found my seat, 22B which was a change to the one I had pre-booked because of an aircraft change. The seat was new PE which, in my view, is close to ‘Best in Class’ – excellent legroom, a comfortable, wide seat, good recline allowing a very comfortable resting position. My seat was in the second row so the IFE screen was seatback but a good size even though I did not use it for more than the flight map. There are 2 USB ports per seat as well as seat power. Noise cancelling headphones (as per Club) are provided for this class. Soft drinks were offered prior to take off – water and orange.

The flight did not appear to be more than 40% full in all classes so I moved before take-off to give myself a free seat on either side of me – fabulous for the work I needed to do. We pushed back on time and were informed that the flying time to Bahrain would be 6’15”. After a taxi of about 15 minutes we were airborne and travelled through a fair amount of turbulence before the seat belt sign was switched off.

Service commenced quickly – hot towlels followed by a full drinks service. Lunch service consisted of a very tasty harissa salad followed by a choice of two Club World options – a beef and noodle dish or chicken with sweet potato mash and pea compote – I had this and it was superb. I gave the chocolate dessert a miss. Service was on trays, with ‘real” cutlery but without the table clothes offered by Qantas in PE which always strikes me as a nice touch.

I then settled down to some work and enjoyed the space all round in order to spread out my papers etc while also having plenty of laptop room. Had there been a passenger in front of me and if she/ he had reclined fully, working on the table might have been a tad difficult.

Trayed drinks (a la Economy) were served at regular intervals and a final full drinks service with a sandwich came round about an hour out.

Service was efficient but certainly not warm or engaged. Unlike many of my recent long-haul experiences with BA, the CSD did not show himself on this flight, let along make a point of greeting me as a Gold card holder.

We landed on time and, after a short taxi, deplaned directly into the terminal in Bahrain. Probably about half the passengers disembarked, the remainder heading on to Doha. I was met by my “Meet and Greet” and whisked through Immigration. Luggage seemed to appear at an incredibly slow and staggered pace – almost as if each case was being crried individually from plane to beltway!! Mine did appear quicker than many and I was soon in my hotel car and heading into town.

For its class, BA have a really excellent seat here. The main meal service is good and more than a touch above ‘Y’. On a six hour flight, a fuller second service is unnecessary (for me), especially with an early evening arrival in Bahrain which allows for dinner on arrival if you wish so that the sarni was fine. Service efficiency was fine but it was soulless and disinterested – almost 100% male so I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

CXDiamond
    Participant

Nice to read of you having a positive experience Tom. It does make a change.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls