British Airways advertising design book

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Cleancabinair
    Participant

Its a shame that British Airways did not look to their ‘own progeny’ so to speak for this book. Keith Lovegrove (Author of ‘Airline: Style at 30000 feet’) is the son of a BOAC/BA engineer, in the 50’/60’s/70’s and has a wonderful insight on airline design. BOAC moved his family across the globe to different postings and were indirectly responsible for his (Keith’s) education at boarding school in the UK.
    If you have a interest in some airline nostalgia from the ‘glory days’ of flying I recommend you check this book out. There are sections on cabin design, food & drink, & a most glamorous section on uniforms (which I have a vested interest in as has an illustration of the Gulf Air Trouser suit uniform produced in 1973 by my mother, Joy Stokes (not a name banded about in the fashion design houses of the globe! lol!)

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Joy Stokes rang a bell, and indeed, and now I’ll have to admit to reading the DM, your mother is mentioned in an article they published.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3062198/Mile-high-runway-golden-early-years-travel-celebrity-designed-outfits-fascinating-photographs-reveal-air-hostess-fashion-ages.html

Cleancabinair
    Participant

Yes I saw that article last week as well with the embedded video of Keith Lovegrove, showing his father climbing in to the engine intakes of a Comet 4C !
    Regarding the uniform, Joy Stokes also designed the very first uniform for Gulf Aviation in 1967, when the airline introduced the Fokker F-27 operations across the Gulf. The trouser suit in 1973 was the 3rd uniform that the airline used. She was paid BHD 50 (about £90) at the time for the design which was very reasonable considering the prices the fashion houses used to charge airlines for designs running into thousands if not millions of dollars!! As there is no feature to attach photos here I cannot show the illustrations and photos

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls