British Airways A318 Club World

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

LCY2FRA
    Participant

CHECK IN:
    Arrived at LCY at 8:30 for the 9:50 departure, as I am only 20 minutes away by DLR I left the house less than 2 hours before take off!

Went to the Club Europe line of 4, but quickly a BA employee came and asked me where I was flying to and, when told New York, pulled me out the line, went to a nearby desk and rapidly returned with my printed boarding pass – really can’t complain about that service! I use LCY all the time, so rapidly through Security and off to Gate 24 – the dedicated gate for BA001

PRE-BOARDING AND BOARDING
    The lounge at Gate 24 has 33 seats for 32 people (apologies if my counting was out!), there were 6 people when I arrived. It is by no means equivalent to T5 but with the minimal amount of space and as you are not meant to be there for more than a short period, more than acceptable. Full range of soft drinks, snacks, croissants, cheeses and cold meats, there was alcohol (including a bottle of Taittinger) but no one took any at this time of day

Only one more person came to joint the flight so 8 of us boarded across the tarmac to the aeroplane and, with 32 seats on board, it gave us a row each.

LCY TO SHANNON (SNN) FLIGHT
    No pre-take off drinks on board but as the point is to board and immediately leave, it really wasn’t necessary (and we had all been in the lounge 30 seconds before!)

We took off within 10 minutes and they came around with the drinks service (OK so I DID have a glass of Taittinger onboard). The idea is that you have your starter between LCY and Shannon, and I was looking forward to a Confit of Goose (the alternative choice was a Beetroot Carpaccio with Goat’s Cheese)….but they weren’t loaded so they handed around a plate of cheese and cold meats and a groveling apology. A bit disappointing but the apology more than made up for it. As there were only 8 of us, the service was extremely attentive with the Gatwick-based crew looking for things to do (champagne top ups were very regular!)

SHANNON STOP OVER
    We landed in Shannon after about 75 minutes into thick fog. Once we got to the Gate we had to take all of our hand luggage, coats etc off with us (apparently US customs go through the plane and confiscate items not taken off). I didn’t have luggage in the hold, but it looks like you have to wait for approval that it has been checked in the terminal before you go through US immigration in Shannon. For those of us without hold luggage, you go immediately to security where they X-ray your shoes and bag, but there are no metal detectors for your person. With 4 US immigration officials for 8 people we sped through (in fact they were desperate for a chat, must seem a long day for them!)

Went back to the Gate for 15 minutes, there was wi-fi available and Shannon airport does have a very retro feel to it (i.e. doesn’t appear to have been updated since 1988) and was empty. Re-boarded, but spent an additional 20 minutes on the ‘plane to due refueling delays, so were a few minutes late taking off again

SNN TO JFK
    Another round of drinks on take off and the iPads handed out for films on the trans-continental piece, the choice was a lot more limited than on a 747/777 but still managed ‘The Thick of It’ and ‘Anna Karenina’….and talking to the Steward and Stewardess at the back, they were keen for diversions and exceptionally bored with no one to talk to!

A salad came first, then I had the Guinea Fowl (they take the order between LCY and SNN) that was very nice..the alternatives were beef (which I usually find BA are not that good at cooking), poached turbot, vegetarian haggis and coconut-crusted chicken. Enjoyed it with a glass of Bordeaux (well, refilled multiple times). Finished with a Bakewell Cheese Tart (it tastes far better than it sounds), a coffee and a Glenlivet 15 year-old malt. Somehow needed a quick sleep so had a chance to find out the seat is very comfortable as a bed too

No Duty Free was offered, either I was asleep or it could not be served to SNN as it is an intra-EU flight and could not between SNN and JFK as it is technically a domestic flight.

ARRIVAL
    Arrived on time in JFK, as I had no bags it was less than 10 minutes from arriving at the gate to being in a cab – the time saving of going LCY-SNN-JFK by saving the trip to LHR and US immigration is a definite benefit for me.

OVERALL
    An excellent journey, highly recommended, the service was excellent (OK, I can only comment on a flight with 8 people on!), the food and drink very good and arriving in JFK as a domestic flight is a huge benefit – not sure I would be as keen on the later LCY service that lands internationally.

SimonS1
    Participant

Only 8 passengers. I’d seen reports of low loads before on here but I wonder how long BA will sustain that.

Hello LCY2FRA

I enjoyed your review very much and look forward to hearing more from you. It’s a route I have yet to fly and you have sorely tempted me!

Welcome!

LCY2FRA
    Participant

SimonS1 – the crew said that 8 was the lowest ever and I know people who have seen it full. I guess early in January, when early morning closures at LCY are at their highest is a time people avoid. There is also the rumour that certain banks are sponsoring it (presumably by bulk buying seats that they may not use…..)

alexpo1 – thanks…got an Avios upgrade on way back to First Class on 747 (seat 1A….clearly no one important on the plane 🙂 )….highly recommend that too, but I am pretty easily pleased

SimonS1
    Participant

Well it was reported on here before that one of the two flights had an average load of 14. If true then single figures may not be as rare as they make out.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/discussion/topic/BA3-to-loose-US-preclearance-at-SNN

LCY2FRA
    Participant

SimonS1 – certainly interesting. The flight is excellent, but it far less attractive if you don’t pre-clear in the US I agree. If they are not financially viable, or if they are not being effectively subsidised by the banks (or the subsidy finishes) it will be interesting if they keep the A318s…they are not popular…could they be used on the light LBA route? Are there any heavy LCY flights??

LCY2FRA

Which flight did you enjoy most? The outbound or inbound?

LCY2FRA
    Participant

Inbound…definitely

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Its a pity that the BA booking system does not include LCY-JFK as an option for using the service as a gateway into USA. Its a sure way of virtually guaranteeing you will make a connecting flight (as long as you have immigration in Shannon)

I have just booked LON-MCO via MIA, but would have happily used LCY via JFK if the option was loaded as a through ticket.

(yes I know I could have gone direct from Gatwick)

LCY2FRA
    Participant

MartynSinclair

I don sympathise, but if it makes you feel better, the crew for LCY to JFK and the crew from LGW to MCO are from the same Gatwick crew base….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am sure the Gatwick based crew appreciate the civilised surroundings of the 318 ….. As well as a smaller airport …… As well as a Shannon customs stop (mind you they can Q jump that Q!).

andystock
    Participant

So want to go on this flight, as close to a private jet as you can get

passionateflyer
    Participant

@LCY2FRA thank you for the in depth review, a pleasure to read. However you’ve lost me, why are the A318s not popular?

LCY2FRA
    Participant

sjldtion1 – thanks! I meant not popular commercially relative to the rest of the Airbus family…only 81 orders so far out of over 9,000 for the full A320 family

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls