Boris Island

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)

• skywards
    Participant

Barroness Thatcher International Airport. 😉

RichHI1
    Participant

Now that’s funny, the aeroplane’s not for turning…

Redjohn
    Participant

It’s utterly preposterous and typical of the mindless comments that often are heard when Boris of Henley opens up.

First’y. the actual building of the airport would present an environmental nightmare, that is the biggest consideration, and yes, if that makes me a nimby or a do-gooder, then so be it. We have already got three very serviceable airports for London. Heathrow, which is well past its sell by thanks to under investment and the trappings of the location.

Stansted, which is ripe for proper utilisation and could easily be extended and of course the now excellent Gatwick airport which continues to provide excellent service to those who use it.

There seems to be absolutely no regard to the fact that we are facing a key tipping point in environmental terms, yet in the name of business, we’re closing our eyes and rushing head long into potential catastrophe by continuing to expand not only air travel, but other less environmentally friendlly forms of transport.

I wonder, as difficult as it may be, have we considered the FRA approach of totally overhauling the rail links from LHR to provide high speed access to points as far north as Scotland, therefore removing the need for so many domestic flights and increasing slot availability?

And rather than multi frequency flights to places like NYC with the B787, why not include the A380 in the reckoning and increase capacity on what we already have available.

This might sound like pie in the sky, but people, the environmental questions will not go away. Oil availability problems will not suddenly be overcome with the find of a huge glut of the stuff. Instead we’re being forced in to hellish means of finding new sources like fracking and drilling in deep water in the Arctic, both offering the potential for disaster.

I wonder what those who use such mindless terms as nimby and do-gooders when faced with 85% of scientists accepting that environmental catastrophe may not be far off, will say if the worst case scenarios occur. Will you still be counting your money as the flood encases you? Or will you say, what if we acted sooner to end the madness of blind consumerist actions.

Bucksnet
    Participant

There are also City and Luton airports serving London don’t forget.

Improved rail links will not stop domestic flights due to the large number of people connecting. The fastest way to get to an airport is to fly.

There are no flights from LON – NYC on 787s. All BA flights are on 747s already, which may be upgauged to A380s in future.

NTarrant
    Participant

Redjohn, as far as building Boris Island is concerned I am there with you not only from the environment considerations of building it, but also the accessability from many parts of the UK not connected by air.

As Bucksnet says improved rail links will not reduce domestic flights. There is a danger that without the easy connectativity between Scotland and LHR or LGW for onward connections, the traffic could be lost to European hubs.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A splendid suggestion skywards.

Baroness Thatcher International Airport.

You could name the four terminals Margaret (USA and Commonwealth, including The Falklands) Dennis (flights to Dublin and Geneva), Mark (rest of Africa and Middle East/Indonesia) and Carol (Europe and other places you wouldn’t want to go).

skywards
    Participant

Thank you VK….and may i just say that i am deeply honoured that you have taken time out to reply to my suggestion….it has made my weekend before it even starts 🙂

What about some of the lounges?

I don’t mean to upset any PC do gooders…..but i have a couple of lounge names and in my defence..case i upset anyone…i have had one or two Vodkas..

The Port Stanley Lounge
    The General Belgrano Lounge

One thing i would like to see at Baroness Thatcher International Airport is something i seen in Baghdad…The Swords of Qadisiyah the hands of victory …victory arch….Well..i think two massive crossed handbags at the entrance of Baroness Thatcher International would be a perfect testament to the Iron Lady.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I can do personal appearances, as well, skywards 😉

As someone once said, everyone needs a Willie, so it seems sensible to have a Willie Room (perhaps only for those ennobled under her premiership). The Tarzan Suite could handle govt. Ministers and the Royal Family.

The massive crossed handbags – in crocodile, natch – would be a splendid monument to the Lady.

Looking forward to the movie next year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im2UvBs_gfs

Stowage222
    Participant

NTarrant – Your point is valid and this is already happening. I met a guy on a JNB/LHR flight last week who joined the BA flight as AF had cancelled theirs (he says AF – never again. Third time he’s had a problem/delay with them!!!). Anyway, his final destination was Birmingham. So, rather than flying to LHR and getting the train he originally preferred to go to CDG and fly to BHX thereby avoiding London altogether.

skywards
    Participant

If i had only known that you did personal appearances last year… i would of hired you for my fathers 65th and retirement party 😉

Will you be watching the movie at 39,000 feet in F class on B.A. when it comes out?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Mustn’t forget the Common Market Lounge. You get paid a tenner to enter but have to pay £ 20 to get out.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I like the idea of a Common Market lounge. Very good!

Perhaps a visit there will be made compulsory…?!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

The new trailer has been released:

http://bcove.me/i9fvq1tm

RichHI1
    Participant

Just checked out details for movie on Fandango, opens here Dec 16. Its says PG13 for brief nudity… All of a sudden I feel unwell… though I am sure some MP’s will be reserving their blu rays for home consumption…

Bucksnet
    Participant

The Common Market lounge – you’re told it’s a lounge, but on entering you find out it’s a prison and you cannot leave.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 78 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls