Booking on Virgin

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

AB123456
    Participant

I seem to be very frustrated with Virgin, they always mention low cost and this could not be further from the truth. Recently I tried to book a return from Dubai to NY and the cost in Upper Class is yes expensive and perhaps cheaper than Emirates.

What gets to me is how Virgin presents its prices they show the Low figure in big letters and then the total price in small print on the screen.

The cost is 1,775 GBP which is a reasonable price and then they add GBP 1,000 in taxes which seems extremely steep. How do they get 1,000 in taxes?

APD Tax in the UK is definitely not that expensive, why can’t they just quote the price as it should be?

FYI the same trip on AA/BA is GBP 2,146.99 GBP for the same dates! Not too sure about the low cost claim.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

They probably mean that their low fare is the cheapest you will get on a Virgin flight. so if you used an agent or travel website the price they quote you will be more expensive than Virgins.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

“APD tax in the UK is definitely not that expensive ..”

Don’t tell the UK government that or they’ll find it an excuse to raise APD yet again !

In any case, AB123456, there is no APD tax to pay in the UK when you are in transit between DXB and NYC which I presume you are.

passionateflyer
    Participant

A large proportion of the ‘taxes’ aren’t ‘taxes’ but a fuel surcharge levied by the airline

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi AB123456

I jsut picked these dates in June randomly and the cheapest Upper Class is in Z. Taxes are £496.99. Some agencies may have cheaper fares than this but this is the published fare.

VS 400 J 15JUN LHRDXB HS1 2200 #0755
    VS 401 J 20JUN DXBLHR HS1 1000 1435

>FQBB++-BUSNS
    *** BEST BUY QUOTATION ***
    LOWEST FARE AVAILABLE FOR CABIN SPECIFIED
    *** REBOOK BF SEGMENTS 1Z/2Z ***
    PSGR QUOTE BASIS FARE TAXES TOTAL PSG DES
    FQG 1 ZGB GBP 1645.00 496.99 2141.99 ADT
    GUARANTEED
    GRAND TOTAL INCLUDING TAXES **** GBP 2141.99

In a nutshell taxes/surcharges aren’t £1k

AB123456
    Participant

Actually here is the price according to VS”s website and I am going onto NYC. This is a copy and paste direct from their website. If you could help me get a better price, I would be grateful.

Total fare AED 10,650.00 per adult

Total AED 16,060.00 including taxes, fees, charges and Carrier imposed surcharges

20,584 miles + 20 tier point(s) earned

AB123456
    Participant

Yeah I am transferring direct and not getting out in London.

thebigseats
    Participant

Oh, come on now, Virgin do not claim to be the LOWEST cost now do they? No.

Try defining “low cost” in this context anyway……no, not easy eh? Most airlines / travel sites boast of low cost/lowest pricesd/cheap flightrs etc etc etc

If BA are lower cost just book with them……

LeTigre
    Participant

If Virgin were low-cost they would only use recliners in Upper Class, rather like Scoot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls