Boo to AA customer service

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

HongKongLady
    Participant

I was unfortunately caught up with the hurricane Sandy flight cancellations. AA cancelled my domestic flight and indeed the flights of the evening of the prior day too so no chance of escape. The airport was even closed.

Will AA refund the air fare……….. NO they won’t, I should have phoned them on the day of my flight……. Now why didn’t I think of that !!! Oh yes that’s right I did but after several stints of more than an hour on the phone I left my hotel in search of sustenance. Did I try and try again yes I did, but will AA listen, apparently not. So thanks AA ….. I do not fly with them often so they will not miss my not using them again. I will even forfeit using them even when there are no other One World carriers to collect points from.

flier74
    Participant

HongKongLady, keep persering them and dont give up jut yet. We had dealings with them last year where they repeatedly charged our Credit Card over and over again. Initial attempts were to no avail but eventually ee got it all sorted and compensation on top of that. It seems to be thtat you have to be persistent with them. Not great Customer Service I agree and time consuming but if you want your money back, this seems the only way wit AA sadly.

I travelled with them recently on a multi sector itinerary and have to admit the Service onboard in First Class was very impressive on transcontinental flights and international Business.

Yet their lounge access policy is rather odd even as an Emerald Card holder and when a technical fault occured the Flight Creew simply walked off and left us to our own fate. So I am bracing myself for another long battle on that one, but just keep on top of them in Customer Services, if all fails just cancel the payment on your Credit Card as they did not fulfil their side of the Contract.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Thank you Flier74 for your insight glad to hear that you eventually had the right outcome. I will persevere and hopefully receive a refund.

JohnPhelanAustralia
    Participant

The bottom line is that, legally, they have no option but to refund – if that’s your preferred option – because the airline cancelled the flight. They did not provide the service that you paid them for.

Keep on to them – you will succeed, but it’s sad that you have the make the effort – the onus is on AA to do this automatically.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I may be wrong here, but it may be the case that they have no liability for cancellations due to weather (input, anyone?). Hurricane Sandy was pretty exceptional, after all. And I suspect their customer service line got rather a lot of calls around that time…

I am no AA apologist, but given the circumstances it would be unsurprising if customer service were a bit overwhelmed. Perhaps a written approach would be more time-effective?

SimonS1
    Participant

I would be very surprised by that, If it were the case passengers would have stood the bill for the ash cloud saga and the airlines would find a way of blaming everything on the weather somehow.

A bit like they try and blame everything these days on safety even when (for example) Flybe are clearly consolidating two flights because of poor loads.

Tim2soza
    Participant

AA customer service is non existent for complaints; it all goes into a deep hole. I have two outstanding complaints, wrong miles and tier points for a flight / broken IFE, I have given up chasing them.

HongKongLady
    Participant

Success, I have had a full refund.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Well done hun :o) xx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls