Bonkers in Bangkok!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Chris_S
    Participant

Does anyone know what stupid reason the security staff at Bangkok airport have for wanting to X-Ray your passport along with your other carry-on bags?
    This is just too stupid – having no trust of any airport security to ensure the safety of your belongings once passed the X-Ray machine – while you are still waiting to pass through the metal detector – I keep my valuables with me including my passport – now hiddened in my trouser pockets

Deleted User
    Participant

my experience in BKK like so many other security checkpoints is that each may have its own idiosyncrasies which I personally have no issue with whatsoever. If I am asked to put a document wallet I am holding through the Xray machine, even just a boarding pass – I follow the instructions, job done, we smile, and then I get on my way.

Passports are becoming more and more sophisticated in terms of what information they hold as well as the manner that this information could at some point in the future be extracted from your passport without you even having to produce the document when passing through immigration.

The only “stupid” security procedure is the one that isnt carried out. Without sounding patronizing, it is not our place to ask security personel at airports why they have implemented a seemingly “stupid” reason. I would politely suggest you smile and live with it, becasue if thats the procedure, it wont be changed it because a passenger considers it stupid.

Binman62
    Participant

CMBurchhardt…in other words put up and shut up……..well sorry, but no….

It is now absolutely clear that there is no joined up thinking when it comes to airport security. There is no consitancy, no universal procedures and airports, indeed national governments, are making it up as they go along.

That you need to pass through security at LHR having arrived from a EU country is barking mad, as is putting your passport through a x ray machine in one airport but not in another, or taking you shoes off in Phoenix but not in Austin.

Passengers pay for the security procedures they experience when they pass through aiprorts, and as customers we have a right to expect that what they are paying for, is a product that is fit for purpose and not some pretence and window dressing.

It may not be approprite to demand answers from the lowly paid security staff at the security point, but it most ceratinly is our place to question the effectiveness of the security we experience.

esselle
    Participant

Whilst it may be frustrating, and, to the ill informed, an infringement, it is entirely logical that things are different and unpredictable. What purpose would uniformity of approach serve, other than to help those with evil motives to work out where the chinks are?
    I have flown at least four times a week, every week, for the last sixteen years; new and unusual demands at security never bother me.
    Do not, however, get me started on the social skills of most security staff…………………

Deleted User
    Participant

“in other words put up and shut up” – in a word YES!

Here is another example. Belts off. My buckle comes off, so I take the buckle off put it in the tray leaving the leather belt part through around my waist. Some security personel ask me to take the belt off, some smile and say, clever, others just nod and ask me to go through the metal detector, still waeing the belt without the metal buckle.

I now have a choice. Enter into discussions and hold not only me up, but the people behind me up, probably raise some additional interest in me as a trouble maker and get a more thorough search, or smile and say dont blame me if my trousers fall down, walk through, job done and I get into the lounge that bit quicker.

Perhaps some pax have this idea that there should be a customer security charter at airports which clearly defines the limits that security can go to in their procedures. Perhaps some beleive that we should have civil liberties personel present at airport security to nesure our freedom isnt breached! I beleive in standards and I beleive in a level playing field, but whether some operative asks me to take th eleft shoe off and not the right shoe or asks me to put my passport through a metal detector – there are far more important things to worry about like getting to a lounge and avoiding all the shops…………..

My suggestion, is to write to the airport authorities where you have an issue and wait for the reply.

I will just make one addition to this comment. There is only one occasion where I will make a noise (and I have at JFK, which resulted in a very swift apology from the TSA managaer of duty), when my hand lugage being inspected was taken out of my view. Under no circumstances should this happen.

Chris_S
    Participant

Sorry CMBurchhardt – but by your own standards – if your hand luggage disappears – put up and shut up !

Why should your hand luggage not disappear from view while my passport leaves my control and view?

not sure if you have passed through Bangkok airport – but your personnel goods do disappear from direct view as the X-ray machine outlet is about 3-4 m away and there are alot of people milling around looking for their stuff – most putting on shoes and belts!

In conclusion – not all airports are created equal – and if you’d like to wander around holding up your pants bare footed looking for your passport and stuff – then visit Bangkok and remember – SMILE

Deleted User
    Participant

Chris_S

Your post is rather confusing. Hand bagage should not go out of view whilst being inspected. i.e. you should always be able to watch someone going through your personal effects. The reason for this is so that there is no dispute if something is found. This rule is very strictly enforced at most airports.

I do not recall my passport ever going out of my view. Of course I exclude the time when items are travelling through a scanning machine.

I use BKK airport roughly once or twice a month. I have never seen my bags being inspected out of my view. Thats going through the fast track and normal security lines.

Not quite sure what your point is Chris_S, but I have absolutely no issue with the staff at BKK airport, who could teach BAA staff alot in terms of Customer Relations and politeness.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Thank you for saying the BKK (SIN/HKG also) airport security inspection staff should give an friendly advice to their less than friendly BAA counterparts for Customer Realtionship!!

Many of my British friends get sensitive when I compare the kind of poor treatments I get when passing though UK airport security check points in comparsion to the effecent and freindly services one gets in the most of the major Asian airports.

I am sure deep down they are aware of it but don’t want to hear unfavourable comments from Asian traveller.

I now leave it to my British partner making disgruntled noises at these BAA security workers instead while I stay at the background to watch the “scene”. Smirking like a Chinese Cheshire Cat of course!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls