Boarding / Landing Music

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• justloveflying
    Participant

During the rush of boarding, the crew are welcoming you onboard, they might ( depending on the airline ) be helping to stow hand luggage, the usual aisle hoggers are in a trance and holding everyone up, it is a busy time as everyone tries to get seated.

Similarly, upon landing, everyone or most people are stood up and there is a rush to get off the aircraft ( as if it is about to take off again with everyone still onboard !),the aisles are clogged, kids are crying, those with connections are frantic and there is anticipation to leave the aircraft….

But one thing during both these times is beautiful boarding music / landing music. This could be pop hits, Instrumental versions of famous songs or the Airline’s signature theme.

What kind of music do you like to hear during boarding / landing ? Do certain songs remind you of past flights ? For me, I always remember Hunter by Dido when landing at Heathrow in 2003 on British Midland. I loved that song anyway but it now serves as a reminder of the Diamond Days !

esselle
    Participant

In the 1990’s BA always played Delibes’ Flower Duet as its boarding/landing music.

In those days, flying BA was normally a very good experience and, particularly if flying longhaul in J or F, hearing it play on entering the aircraft always seemed a positive precursor to what was going to be a great flying experience.

Hearing it played in isolation today always takes me back to those days when you looked forward to your BA flight, now sadly gone.

4 users thanked author for this post.

justloveflying
    Participant

Hey esselle.

Lovely to hear that you have fond memories of the “BA song” !

To ne, Aria will forever be the BA brand tune, albeit from a very different era when BA was THE best airline.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Woodpecker
    Participant

I would like to hear instrumental music, but the type would depend on the time of the day. Maybe something soothing at night, and a bit livelier in the day. Back in the nineties, Ansett Australia had a few varieties themed to the destinations they were operating, these tracks were also available for in-flight listening.

I guess the music would also depend on the country the airline belonged to, e.g. some Indian carriers have distinctively local flavoured music.

cwoodward
    Participant

Back in the nineties Cathay used to play Barry White boarding music and it became very familiar although I never knew which were the tracks.
    Recently on taxi they have been playing tracks from Tycho – Awake Album

stevescoots
    Participant

C Woodward, CX have brought back a less funky version of Barry White “loves theme” they play 2 tracks on landing , one i do not recognize but the walrus of love i certainly do! and for those young uns who hav no idea what i am talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3zJbBOHPC0

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I REALLY wish one of the Airlines would play something fun for a change.
    Perhaps the “Airplane” movie theme tunes.
    Virgin Atlantic used to play current pop music at one stage!

I do recall a “low Cost Airline” ex Amsterdam to Europe (that failed) 20+ yrs ago, Playing a Madonna*s Tape “Material girl” as we Boarded. The cabin crew were dancing to it as we boarded, Feet firmly still, just hips, shoulders, twitchy Hands, and chewing gum movements!
    Everyone laughed and all the passengers were smiling and giggling, and chatting about it for a long time!
    It was a very effective Mood creator!

drflight
    Participant

One of the best ever was the soothing Singapore Airlines boarding music of the late nineties. It was much missed when SIA changed it, alas.

lostantipod
    Participant

I always found the Etihad boarding music so relaxing and peaceful and classy. Don’t know if they still use that one, it’s been a while, I travelled with them a bit in the first half of the last decade.

Travelcruiser
    Participant

Etihad has a beautiful piece. Turn the lights down, light a candle or two and drift off on Arabian adventures ….

COCODA Ltd
    Participant

Took a couple of flights on Garuda in November and was quite taken by their boarding music. So much so that I was compelled to track it down on YouTube.

In case anyone is tempted, there’s a snippet here:

DavidSmith2
    Participant

@esselle
    – the Delibes’ Flower Duet is still ingrained in my mind. In the 1990s I was flying almost every week. And not only on the plane, they played it on the shuttle between N & S terminals. “Welcome on board ladies & gentlement. We will be cruising at a height of two metres”

huey
    Participant

Theoretically, music would be nice, very nice. Far too much volume far too often. I wish they’d just stop trying to make us think we’re having fun.

cwoodward
    Participant

Some of us are…..having fun that is… at least some of the time.
    I actively enjoy most of the music much of the time and have never found a problem with the volume or frequency….we must use different airlines.
    Airlines do surveys re music and it seems reasonable to assume that most surveyed enjoy the carefully selected sounds.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls