BOAC dispatcher salutes departing Comet

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

How it was before the days of mass travel.

cwoodward
    Participant

It certainly still happens at least at HKIA for Cathay flights (and probably others also) but of course in a much more informal way.
    The ground staff (dispatchers -normally two) take the ‘chock’ out from under the front aircraft wheel when the aircraft is disengaged from the tug together with the ‘flag’ walk back to their vehicle turn and wave (in a reasonable formal way) to the pilots as the aircraft starts to move away from the gate.
    I believe that I have the above sequence correct but am not 100% certain and stand to be corrected.

FDOS
    Participant

cwoodward

Is the crew member waving the nose gear locking pin (with streamer) to show to captain it has been removed?

1 user thanked author for this post.

CrazyCanuck
    Participant

You look at videos of aircraft departing in Japan, lot of waving and saluting (Japanese style).

esselle
    Participant

Locking pin normally held above head between both hands. Crew acknowledge, then dispatcher waves.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

FDOS = Yes -these days it the locking pin of course – sorry poorly described.

I took special note leaving from HK yesterday ‘esselle’ and in essence that is exactly what happened.

At Cape Town a while back (Long Haul) it was more formally done with the dispatchers standing to attention and saluting rather than waving.

FDOS
    Participant

@esselle, I’ve seen the two handed hold up, many times.

Though, it’s not universal, here’s a video to show another way (from about 2:50).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls