BOAC B707 – preparations for LHR departure in 1963

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

After 60 years I am still fascinated by how London Heathrow (LHR) has changed.

Another historical video showing passengers boarding a BOAC B707.

No airbridges. In the background all looks deserted … no long queue of aircraft waiting their turn to enter the runway.

As an aside I believe it was Schiphol which was the first Europran airport to have airbridge availability for almost every departure/arrival when its new terminal in 1967. That new terminal (parts of which remain in use today as it’s been expanded since) was a wonder of the aviation age at that time.

4 users thanked author for this post.

thecartoonman
    Participant

Everyone in their best ‘bib and tucker’ what a change from the average casual flight attire of today, though suit and tie and a pair of tightly laced shoes might become slightly uncomfortable after 7 hours.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

Thanks Alex. This 707 flight was four months before my first one, which was on Aer Lingus.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I love the way the captain addresses the first officer by his surname, and the captain is addressed as “sir”.

And look at that seat pitch.

BusinessRose
    Participant

I remember flying on a BA 707 to St.Lucia in 1979 and 1980. We were driven to the aircraft by bus and boarded using the stairs. Disembarking was the same. No luxurious airbridge back then either. I only got to experience that in 1986 when we flew on a 747-200. It was an awesome flight, no seat-back screens back then, but we were fed well. Corn-fed chicken, saffron rice and butter leaf spinach. We were handed pre-meal menus and the portions were mammoth. We were also fed smoked trout!! Oh how times have changed.

Sarah Stemp
    Participant

My father was an air steward for BOAC until 1964. He was away for long periods of time as long haul was truly long haul.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls