bmi’s Death Knell Begins: BA Acquires Six Slot Pairs at LHR

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

I too am surprised by how much traffic there is LHR-JFK. I was really surprised how full all the flights on One World are. Maybe there is a question in a downturn of speed of return. If you already have stations set up with infrastructure then addding a flight incurs a minimal set up cost to gte back in return. Whereas setting up a new destination, particularly in a country where you may not have ground handling contracts negotiated may impose a higher start up cost and be a better option for further down the road to recovery. Thus if a carrier already serves several Chinese Cities and has agreements in place with providers it is easier to build than starting from a PEK, PVG, HKG only base.
    Krisflyer, you make me wonder, are there any figures published on which carriers/ airports carrry which percentage of traffic in regions? I am just thinking that USA traffice heading into UK and Europe is predominantly focussed on LHR. There are many services to other cities both from local and US carriers but the ratio of pax that fly to or through LHR is higher.
    I wonder with the investments made from regions such as Northern, Southern Asia or China whether Frankfurt is emerging as the major hub? I knwo historically HKG had a UK focus for colonial reasons but it would be interesting to know which are the major hubs for asian destinations and also for africa. MAdrid is easily the one for Latin America and I am guessing LHR or the UK in general probably still is for the Indian Subcontinent.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

I agree RichHI1 What is irksome is WW’s bellicose criticism of the government whilst asserting the need for more capacity to establish new direct connections to China. When the chance became available to do something about it the new increased capacity is allocated elsewhere.

Playing the pro UK-Plc card to garner support/obtain plaudits then subsequently using new capaciity for existing routes demonstrates the guy is self-serving. He will have lost credibility and trust in the eyes of the city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/8700077/Willie-Walsh-Government-is-clipping-the-UKs-wings.html

BeckyBoop
    Participant

All the BMI flights run from T1 (i think) so will BA take over those flights and continue running them as they or change to long haul? It would be nice to see BA fly to Dublin which i cant believe they dont do!
    Xx

Hippocampus
    Participant

I do agree with Tete. 🙂

There is nothing really stopping BA from expanding into China et al. What is really the issue for BA is that its physical location in Western Europe limits connecting traffic from mainland Europe to Asia (whereas it is well placed for connecting traffic to transatlantic routes) and Oneworld has limited local partners for onward intra-Asia traffic.

I suspect we will have to wait for the 787 to enter into service first.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Ok Hippo this is a first – can you please sign post it a little next time, thus giving me the opportunity to place my tea cup down calmly instead of dropping it 😉

Scandinavian
    Participant

Nothing stopping BA expanding in Asia except the cost and risk 😉

I think you are correct Hippo, the B787 is what is needed for new routes Eastward. B787 + mixed fleet crew is surely a platform for expansion!

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

Flying “BA Composite Materials” doesn’t quite have the same “ring” as BA metal.
    I wonder if ” xxx metal” will be consigned to olde english usage in 10-15 years.

RichHI1
    Participant

Interested to see the 787 projection. On different forum saw people saying 787 would not be on NRT- Europe or UK anytime sson and that proved to be incorrect. I think the 787 will probably open up many new markets. Why I find it interesting is the Chinese carriers are heavily investing in the A380 so does that mean they will focus on a hub and spoke model using PEK, PVG etc? I know the Chinese governent is making it easier for citizens to travel internationally but I suspect outside the big mteros traffic will remain business and student heavy.

LPPSKrisflyer
    Participant

@RichHI1 There are figures published that you refer to above, I don’t have any to hand but I have seen them relating to FRA where traffic to China is almost as great as the rest of Europe put together. LH have amazing coverage outstripping by far any European carrier and probably as good as any carrier going east too. While I appreciate they have the benefit of picking up transfer traffic, BA have demonstrated they can do that too when someone will position in from Milan to fly to BKK when TG cover the route everyday.

Of course LH use the A343 and A333 on the thinner routes and the A380 to Beijing so of course they have far more flexibility in their fleet than BA do who are of course again hampered by a lack of vision.

RichHI1
    Participant

Krisflyer as LH are one of the few airlines to buy the 747-8i I must agree with you. I am certain I will be flyign LH more as a result.
    As an adjunct LH have a much better connection hub in FRA than LHR but MUC is I think much the same as LHR with the runways being too close together for full dual.

LeTigre
    Participant

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bc728250-f67a-11e0-9381-00144feab49a.html#axzz1anLfQky5

Check that out! For those who don’t subscribe to the FT (or have a free account like me!)- the report is called: Virgin eyes tie-up with Etihad on BMI.

Scandinavian
    Participant

Virgin needs capital to invest in bmi! Enter Etihad…

RichHI1
    Participant

So Virgin and Etihad could come together. For some light relief, here are some anagrams fo bringing Virgin and Etihad together.

Aid The Virgin – The view from inside VS?
    Via Dithering – The view from outside VS?
    Raid Thieving – The BA view view of VS?
    A Divine Right – The BA view of BA?
    A Third Give In – The BMI view?

transtraxman
    Participant

My thoughts on BMI and Virgin Atlantic are laid out in my blog

http://trans-trax.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-future-is-there-for-virgin.html

but basically boil down to these…

The BMI group should be split up and sold in parts.
    BMIBaby should be sold off to the highest bidder
    BMI Regional has a more difficult future and will probably end up in the hands of Flybe, though Eastern Airlines might be a better fit (since both it and EA operate from Aberdeen)
    BMI Mainline should go to Virgin Atlantic, maintaining the routes(or at least slots from Heathrow). The European (with North African and Middle Eastern parts should be folded into a new airline called Virgin Europe. This would ensure feeder services into its present routes, those of its partners and provide a vehicle to expand.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 76 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls