BMI to ditch LHR to EDI route this year?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• Bunnahabhain
    Participant

As others have said the loss of BMI itself is no big issue these days – who would have thought we’d be so indifferent, but their onboard service and route network have plummeted. I don’t know too much about pricing structures so can’t really comment on whether leaving just BA on routes is financially unattractive.

There was some concern a year or two ago that BA would pull out of Scotland, prompting the First Minister to write to Willie – whilst no doubt still a long term strategy, taking NCL and MAN along too, it seemed to come and go for the time being.

VK do you know if it is possible to interline luggage through LGW if flying there on a domestic service with BE then connecting onto BA international, if on a single booking? As you say the BE flights do still display a BA codeshare number, and I think you can still book them via BA’s site although they tend to be more expensive than the direct booking with BE.

Markuk2003
    Participant

I am based in Manchester and I see the end of the BMI route. The BA flights do seem full however with BMI it seems to be a staff bus. I think this is a shame as the flex product is very good. I also agree that BA is not interested in anying north of Watford. I think its their loss. I go over to india about twice a month and I have long given up on BA. The EK service out of MAN is far better the BA’s club. I feel they are missing out on a massive market ex non london point to point.

flybmi.com
    Participant

I would just like to clear up this potentially damaging post that a user has originally provided on the bmi facebook page.

Who I can confirm does not work for British Midland International, but may be an employee at LHR for another comapny.

I do work for bmi and can officially confirm that there is no plan to end our Edinburgh to London Heathrow services.

We remain committed to our Scottish network and plan to focus on strongholds like EDI and ABZ.
    If anybody has any questions please email the team <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

TominScotland
    Participant

Thanks flybdA330. If BD is so committed to its Scottish customers, maybe you can help me to understand why I, as a Gold Card Holder, and with a C class booking with BD/ LH GLA-LHR-FRA-HKG have not been offered a reasonable alternative routing as a result of the GLA closure? I wanted to keep this reservation but with EDI as my start/ finish point but no, not possible – take your refund and fingers up to a loyal traveller. Hardly commitment…… So hardly surprising that people are sceptical!

Travellator
    Participant

Bd also said that about Business Class BHD/LHR and their comittment to the route.

Now no business class and a decimated service with a big gap each way mid morning.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And I would wade in to the matter stating that BD said the same about the Glasgow route in 2008:

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/20081016.aspx

Sorry, but it just doesn’t wash.

Bye, Bye bmi.

A real shame that this once great airline is now a shadow of its former self.

Shearer
    Participant

And of course on BHD they have bmibaby in the sidelines with a new Stansted service.

Travellator
    Participant

yes but BMi baby gets worse reports than Ryanair – old 737 from BMI main fleet, poor customer relations etc

greenoak
    Participant

I dont understand why BA does not run direct flights from major USA hubs like Chicago etc., to Glasgow, they did a few years ago and every flight I was on was packed full.

VintageKrug
    Participant

A flight “packed full” is no indication of success/profitability; it’s all about yield.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

In response to flybda380
    The person who originally posted this information (which also appears of the BD facebook page) does not claim to work for BMI and never has claimed that – he claims to work at LHR.
    Also, as I began this topic, it should be noted that my heading is a question not a statement.

VintageKrug
    Participant

An excellent choice of username (flybda380) from what I assume to be the bmi Tweeters (Twits?), going by the email address used.

Are we to assume bmi is shortly planning a Bermuda service using a leased A380, perhaps using the slots released by the Glasgow cancellation? Stranger things have happened!

Travellator
    Participant

Wrong VK – the 380 is to start a new route from Isle of Man to Dar es Salam in an all business configuration.

TominScotland
    Participant

I would like to thank flybmi.com (how come your strap line has changed?) again for her/ his reassurances on 7th February and the useful e-mail address through which to contact the bmi team. I took this advice and raised my concerns. The team there, so committed to their Scottish routes, have not bothered even to acknowledge my e-mail to date……..

flybmi.com
    Participant

TominScotland

We appologise if your personal email sent to <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] has remained unanswered, however whilst it’s not an excuse at present we remain committed to responding to urgent emails regarding GLA.

The following link answers many questions regarding our Scottish network comittment as well as other British Midland International plans.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/bmi/askbmiceo-qa-sessions/192031264159560

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls