BMI fleet integration

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

• Anonymous

tolotaxi
    Participant

Any thoughts on how, or whether, the BMI fleet will be integrated into BA’s network ie. new routes, increased capacity, complete sale etc. I’m guessing that the A330’s will be sold but could they be used on new routes for a few 3 or 2 times weekly flights to Asia.

RichHI1
    Participant

There are not many, I would suspect they will go but they might end up in Madrid.

tolotaxi
    Participant

Thanks. Will the a320 fleet be used to increase capacity or open new routes do you think?

RichHI1
    Participant

I think BD rotues will be continued in short term, not sure long term. It would not surprise me for some BD routes to move to LGW. I thinl BA expanson from LHR will not be much short haul (apart from some limited domestic)

Hippocampus
    Participant

The A330s will most likely be returned to their lessors at the end of the summer season. They are not going to be used by BA once integration is complete.

tolotaxi
    Participant

I didn’t realise they were leased, just thought they’d be transferred to Iberia.

Ozavanti
    Participant

I’m not sure if we are allowed to post outside links, but here is a good overview of what BA may do: BA plans for bmi

Bucksnet
    Participant

The A330s would be perfect for BA to replace 767s on short haul routes as they can use the same pilots and cabin crew as the A320 family, and carry full size cargo containers. However, as their lease costs are reportedly very high, they will probably go.

RichHI1
    Participant

I do not think adding another equipment type would be a good move irrespective of leasing costs. We already have a pig in a poke as to whether you will get New First on 747’s and it seems many of thise that re not being upgraded and being kept longer. Imagine the drama if you kight get a 330 with BD seating or you might get a 767 CE. These threads would be red hot complaining. Also maintenace must surely be an added cost issue.

ChrisBuda82
    Participant

Was on a BA flight the other day the guy told me from the crew that they not taking on the leased planes.

LeTigre
    Participant

While I am sure it has not been decided in full, it does seem like almost all of the BMI fleet will be leaving as it’s on lease.

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA needs a long term replacement for its 767s on short haul routes, and the A330 suits that role better than any other plane.

RichHI1
    Participant

I think that is what the 787-8 does following the move away from the 787-3.

LeTigre
    Participant

Or what about the designated 767 replacement, the 787?

I know that aside from 24 787s, BA has wisely chosen 18 options and purchase rights on an additional 10.

The current BA fleet schedule shows 16 arriving before the end of 2015 with all but 1 767 being retired by then. However, if 14 are being refreshed, it is possible that they can be delayed a little longer to facilitate slot usage. If BA takes all available 787s that would make 52 in total which would be wonderful for passengers and potentially economic with their fuel efficiency as well as the discounted purchase rates as a result of delays.

So really the number of 787s available (which are way better than the A330, but with re-engining a possibility, watch this space) is more than sufficient to replace all 767s.

Another point, I discovered this gem of a thread about 787-8 configurations:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/4209384/

Summary:
    -NEW 2-3-2 layout in CW
    -2-3-2 layout in WTP
    -2-4-2 layout in WT (this is the most spacious layout possible, most airlines have chosen 3-3-3, inc. QR, well done BA!)
    -Only 90 economy seats on the 787-8, so it will not only be spacious but also not overcrowded

I have to say, after discovering this layout, I have had my faith in BA fully restored!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls