Biometric passports

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Interesting interview on http://www.rts.ch/la-1ere/programmes/on-en-parle/#5890408 (in French, at the end of the record): only the Swiss border officers can read the fingerprints on the Swiss passports chips!!! QED

SimonS1
    Participant

Interesting Martyn. In Europe I doubt it, but I do still see people using handwritten docs in the Middle East.

Indians, Filipinos and Emiratis. Although all three countries have now automated and they must be few in number.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

I still have an old blue passport somewhere. It isn’t valid, but I believe the US visa in it is (although of course I no longer need it!)

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Ian, the USA will not honour the Visa’s in outdated passports. I showed the Visa to an immigration officer in New York about 5 years ago and he stamped it cancelled….(then gave me the outdated passport back)..

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’ll go one further Martyn, I don’t think the old visas are valid anymore even if the passport is. In the 70’s I had a multiple entry, indefinite visa. When I got my new pp the US embassy said the visa was still valid so had to carry both to the US.

This all changed when we had visa exemptions, biometric pp’s etc and those who needed a visa have to queue for one of these machine printed, hologrammed and watermarked stick in visa’s. All previous visas were then made invalid.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls