“Big announcement” at Birmingham airport tomorrow

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

BHX’s Twitter feed says the airport will be making a “big announcement” tomorrow (Thursday November 3). Apparently it’s not a new airline or route, or anything to do with runway extension.

We’ll be keeping an eye on this, but if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be…

http://twitter.com/bhx_official

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Abolition of fees for baggage trolleys?

Abolition of drop-off charges?

I doubt it very much.

The only thing that crosses my mind is possibly an announcement re Terminal 3, which the Master Plan proposes be built on the site of Long Term Car Park 1. But even that’s a long shot.

An even longer shot is the possibility of the seven Metropolitan Local Authorities divesting themselves of their 49% shareholding, but I’ve not heard any sniffs of such a strategy. Indeed, who would pick up the equity in the current climate?

I work closely with BHX and honestly don’t have the foggiest.

I am intrigued……

Simon

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Oh, by the way, it was reported recently that the airport’s dropping the International bit, as (to paraphrase their quote in the Birmingham Post):

“We have international flights and therefore we don’t need to put the word ‘international’ in our name.”

I must admit that the logic goes above my head on this one.

Could it be the name change, then? Not really “exciting news” though….

Simon

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Maybe they will announce a more efficient system for going through security so you don´t have to join a massive queue which can take up to an hour to get through in T1. Maybe they will sort out T2 so you don´t have to wait in a narrow claustrophobia inducing dark tunnel to get to passport control when there is more than 1 flight. Maybe they will improve passport control in T1, see above re massive queue. I doubt it, but it would be nice!

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi FCW,

I doubt it too!

It’ll probably be some mundane announcement such as “We’re really excited that BIA plc (or BA plc if they drop the “International”)(Shurely shome mishtake – Ed) have found even more ways to part passengers from their money.”

Sorry to be a cynic, but I find it sad that one of the best regional airports in the UK (IMHO of course) now stoops so low as to make every penny it can from pax, at the cost of customer care.

I’ve seen arriving pax who don’t have a quid coin or a €2 coin for the trolleys, have to lug their baggage. Not an acceptable introduction to the UK.

“Welcome to Britain’s Second City.” Not.

I think that BHX’s money-grabbing backfires in terms of promoting the region’s image (sorry SH if you’re reading this – I’ll fetch my coat).

Yours with baited breath in anticipation of tomorrow.

Cheers, Simon

It is indeed a rebrand – more details to follow on the site shortly.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

I don’t know whether I feel smug or not about having guessed correctly….

It’s a sad indictment of the way things are in the Birmingham area where removing the word “International” is described as being “exciting!”

Mind you, I’ve always found it a bit confusing that it is locally knows as ‘BIA’, when the IATA code is BHX (and when it uses that on its website URL).

BA plc it is, then. Should avoid any confusion with any other air transport related companies.

Regards, Simon

PS “Hello World” as a strapline(??!!). Shouldn’t it be “Oright, yow lot. Bostin’!”

PPS Why is it that in the reclaim in T1, a recorded Scouse accent says “Please astand back. The baggage carousel is about to start”? Is that another sad reflection on my beloved home city?

Gin&Tonic
    Participant

I just love the way an airport can’t wait to rebrand itself “International” just as soon as any third rate carrier drops in a flight regardless of how minimal per week the service maybe. But then how to show its now a BIG PLAYER it wants to drop the “International” to demonstrate its now a real airport! Most regional airports have done both over the years, so hardly original of you Bhx.

Bunnahabhain
    Participant

So BA it is, in memory of flights which used to operate there. Maybe they could tow the LHR Concorde or fly a 757 up and display it at the entrance to T2, which could be renamed to something which identifies with the region – how about Brumohub.

Tim2soza
    Participant

All a bit zzzzzzz if you ask me.

BHX is a cracking little airport to get in and out of. On top of that, stay at the Accor hotels (IBIS or ETAP from £39), you get up to 50% off car parking in the car park 50 metres from check-in. I have never spent more than 20 mins getting through security.

I live near Milton Keynes and it is consistently faster to BHX than STN or LHR.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls