Best UK Star Alliance Programme

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Sunshine
    Participant

Hi all

I find myself in the rare situation where, for a period of time, it’s not really beneficial for me to continue building up mileage/tier points on BA — I’ve got my status guaranteed for the next 2 years and enough miles to go anywhere a fair few times over. So I’m thinking that it may be worth building up status with Star Alliance, however without a Star Alliance member based out of the UK, I was wondering if it mattered who I decided to sign up with?

Most of my travel, aside from the US (Vegas & LA primarily), is not to star alliance locations – in Europe, I tend to fly mainly to Netherlands, Ireland, France, Spain and Italy. In Asia, my main trips are Australia, Hong Kong, mainland China (Beijing) and Japan.

Is it worth signing up with Star Alliance and, if so, who would be the best partner to sign with

Thanks

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Why not go SkyTeam, based on your European destinations?

canucklad
    Participant

I’m with FDOS on this one, logic would suggest the Flying Blue programme.
    Bearing in mind you’re pretty much committing yourself to in-direct flights via either AMS or CDG

Having said that, and just a bit of a radical idea, why not join Flying Blue for European travel and ANA’s programme for travel to the far east.

That way you’ll have a Skyteam card and a Star card leaving your options open. .

EDIT TO ADD -Another consideration might be a cross transference of points with a particular hotel loyalty programme?

onajetplane
    Participant

Or just use your current status and go for a status match. Turkish Airlines still definitely doing them. For skyteam – I got a 2 year platinum card with Alitalia through a match though I believe that promotion has ended long ago – but do a bit of searching and you’d can likely easily match. Alitalia has the added value of having status reciprocated on Etihad including access to their excellent First Class lounge in Abu Dhabi!

K1ngston
    Participant

canucklad, you got there ahead of me I too was going to suggest ANA one of the better Star Alliance partners and one I use solely if flying to Tokyo as opposed to my preferred SQ KFEG …

openfly
    Participant

Reminder…. Skyteam miles are only valid for 20 months. I discovered this by bitter experience!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Openfly….my flying blue miles are indefinitely valid BUT only if I take an AF or KLM flight every 20 months….

AlanOrton1
    Participant

I’ve been a member of UA’s mileage plus for close on 20 years, but the programme isn’t what it once was. Unless you’re flying a lot with them, it may well not be the best one to go for.
    While I don’t have any experience with it, I’ve heard people (including a few on here a while back) comment on the relative generosity of Aegean Airlines’ programme.
    Or as onajetplane mentions, TK may well status match you.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Aegean now require you to take at least 4 sectors on their metal to qualify for Gold (2 for Silver) but the rest can be on any Star carrier.

As you earn so few miles on short flights nowadays, and the big miles are really only earned flying Business long haul, then I’d go with my favourite Swiss or Lufthansa (or Austrian), all part of Miles and More and of course Star Alliance carriers.

Celticplumber
    Participant

I joined the Turkish Airlines Star Alliance programme. I don’t use Star Alliance airlines very often, but have quoted my membership number when booking flights on Turkish, Lufthansa, United, Air New Zealand, and Ethiopian. I receive a regular e-statement from Turkish, which always shows a balance of 0 points. I am still to be credited with a single point. Messages to Turkish go unanswered, of course. A complete waste of time in my experience.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls