Best Swiss departure lounge in Zurich airport?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• MarkivJ
    Participant

Good day BT! I travel on the Swiss 930a flight from zrh to TLV in a couple of days. A cursory look at the airport website showed multiple lounges. Which would you recommend and why?

barnacles
    Participant

You’ll find that the different lounges are in different areas of the airport, so your choice will be limited to one ‘on the way’ to your gate. I’d try and spend some time on the new Observation deck at the airport, if your schedule allows.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thank you sir! This is my first time flying out of zrh, I was under the idea that it would be like LHR T5: sssumonf you’re flying out is B or C gates, you can use any of main building north, south and the one at B gates.

SwissExPat
    Participant

Assume TLV departs from Terminal E (very likely) then you will be able to use the ASPIRE lounge (if not on SWISS metal) or the SWISS lounge which is in the same 3rd floor level.

Bothe have had major refurb in the last year and offer excellent views over the runways.

Both nice lounges so Enjoy!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

For flights to non-Schengen countries you will use gates D or E. If E,and I assume you’re travelling Business or have a *A FF Silver or Gold status, then head straight for E with the shuttle train and use the Swiss Business lounge which is fabulous. You have an amazing view of the planes and can take a walk on the outside deck.

If you go from D, then the lounge is at the end of the passageway. You also have a nice view of the airport, the food is good, everything is spotlessly clean but you have to go outside the lounge to use the bathrooms. Its only 10 steps away and not really used by passengers other than those using the lounge, though anyone can use them.

If you’re in transit you could use the lounge in A, but it can get very crowded and you’re always worrying when you should leave as you have to pass emigration controls. I would advise going direct to D or E in that case after landing.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thank you folks! I am flying in Swiss metal business class. Does the E lounge have shower facilities?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=831961]Thank you folks! I am flying in Swiss metal business class. Does the E lounge have shower facilities?
    [/quote]

Yes they do have showers in E. It’s virtually brand new.
    Not sure about the lounge in D having showers though.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Hi folks, sorry I forgot to update this thread. I did visit the lounge at E gates and liked it very very much. I’ve summed up my thoughts in this review (with photographs) here:
    http://www.travbuddy.com/Swiss-Business-Lounge-E-Gates-v835289

MarkivJ
    Participant

If reading my review on a mobile phone, request for the desktop site. For some reason, the mobile version is only showing three photos when I have uploaded about 40 !

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Nice review Markiv and I’m glad you enjoyed the lounge.

I think the reason they don’t have Ovomaltine is that it’s no longer Swiss owned – it is produced still in Switzerland but owned by Associated British Foods. In the Business and Senator lounge you have Suchard Express and this is (to the best of my knowledge) still Swiss owned.

I may be wrong on the reason as they still have the small Toblerone bars and this is now owned by Mondelez.

As a by the way, the Swiss Business and Senator lounge at Zurich in A is now closed for some long overdue refurbishments. Opening in April I think.

MarkivJ
    Participant

Thanks LP! yes, they do have Toblerone bars! And Mars bars too which I thought was weird. BTW, I was funny in my review when I “complained” about lack of Ovomaltine. Overall, I found the lounge very nice, clean and well run. Highly impressed! Now my J class flight on the A330 to israel on the other hand wasn’t that impressive: great service, middling everything else (F&B, seat, etc.).

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=837850]Nice review Markiv and I’m glad you enjoyed the lounge.
    I think the reason they don’t have Ovomaltine is that it’s no longer Swiss owned – it is produced still in Switzerland but owned by Associated British Foods. In the Business and Senator lounge you have Suchard Express and this is (to the best of my knowledge) still Swiss owned.
    I may be wrong on the reason as they still have the small Toblerone bars and this is now owned by Mondelez.
    As a by the way, the Swiss Business and Senator lounge at Zurich in A is now closed for some long overdue refurbishments. Opening in April I think.
    [/quote]

Suchard is no more Swiss, I am afraid. Suchard merged with Tobler in 1970, then with Jacobs before being taken over by Kraft Food in the 1990s…

Ovomaltine is actually Swiss … in the US (Novartis then Nestle), and British owned elsewhere…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls