Best Immigration Clearance

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

• RichHI1
    Participant

If we are allowed to include US then LAX AA terminal every time, it is superb (for US or elsewhere) though bags are quicker at T3 LHR but I think they are world class

JordanD
    Participant

At this risk of really setting the cat amongst the pigeons, the best clearance experiences have nearly always occured at locations where ‘visa on arrival’ is either granted or has to be purchased: from Istanbul to Kilimanjaro to Cairo, the fact that individuals have to visit ‘another desk’ first seems to even out the flow through to immigration and doesn’t actually lengthen the overall process.

Even where that hasn’t been the case, must comment on the excellent speed I was processed (along with a great deal of friendly banter with the official) at SFO. He was extremely friendly and completely changed my idea of what US Border Agency staff would be like. Kudos to him.

Capedoctor
    Participant

Problem with iris is you have to pre register. The new digital passport clearance at LHR works exceptionally well. Doesn’t allow kids under 18 due to changing facial structure.

RichHI1
    Participant

Glad to hear it, not seen it in T3. My experience in Lisbon is not so psitive but maybe Brits have doen it better. IS it limited to EFTA passports as in Portugal or is it open to anyone who meets entry requirements as IRIS is?

cityprofessional
    Participant

Nope, e-Passport is only EU/EFTA – a massive disadvantage vs IRIS – which is increasingly out-of-order at all times. It’s a shame because many other countries have biometric passports, so there’s no reason not to extend

Agree with the point that visa on arrival destinations are normally quite good at evening out the flow

Of the bigger, “conventional” airports, I’d say that SIN and HKG have always been pretty efficient in my experience, given the volume of passengers, and the number of “exotic” passports they have to deal with. I’ve also never had any problems or long waits in New Zealand (compared with, say, Australia – nightmare!)

RichHI1
    Participant

I think that IRIS in T3 probably works better as there are fewer BA flights in T3 than T5 and the level of IRIS members using T3 is much lower than T5, therefore it gets less use and works better. I have no issues with it in T3 and regard it as one of the best things done for UK Air Travellers.

Communipaw
    Participant

I have found Detroit (DTW) to be quick, also Atlanta (ATL) if you hit it right.

Also special kudos for Seoul Inchon (ICN). Quick and very efficient.

TominScotland
    Participant

Posted this elsewhere (reviews) but I arrived in Entebbe last Monday, fearing the chaos experienced during previous visits, However, it was all highly efficient and, including Visa on Arrival procedures, the time from the aircraft touching down to sitting in the back of the car to Kampala, including luggage pick up, was a mere 25 minutes. Not easy to beat that in Europe, let alone Africa!

RichHI1
    Participant

This may help posters have a better experience in CBP by plannign airline and flight times to best advantage.
    http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/

Binman62
    Participant

Singapore is excellent and uber friendly. Mind you everything about using Changi is wonderful

ivornomates
    Participant

Liverpool – not !!

MarcusUK
    Participant

IRIS is being closed in September.
    This was after waiting over 50 minutes at LHR T4 on saturday.
    I suggested to one of the Managers of the Imiigration team it be opened up, to which he said “it is finished, only the new passport lanes for compatible passports now…suggest you get one of those”!

The usual displays of BAA staff courtesy, when one waiting frequent traveller made some suggestion to help, and was greeted by an immature stupid comment back. The Traveller took exception, and the staff member (the ones who direct you how to use a plastic bag and how to queue at immigration), walked off refusing to give his name, and turned his ID around!
    He then said “I was not being abusive…this is abusive, I am walking away!”

I am fed up of making comments on these un-intelligent and stupid people they employ at BAA, ignorant, rude, says much for the “Management” of the Airport.
    But then BT forum members know this well.

I went through Amsterdam last eve, the Military Police mix and Immigration Officers, always professional, direct and efficient.
    Likewise through Singapore this afternoon.

Another testimony to the attitudes and manner in which the UK is left behind in the world order of business, employing these people.

For “Best Immigration” not sure if that is a mixture of speed, efficiency, professional and polite staff, thorough & safe, and the facilities they operate in.
    In this respect, Singapore rates the best and i have to say Amsterdam. Premium and Flying Blue Elite travellers, have fast Lane immigration access, including Schengen to non Schengen areas.
    KLM especially, seem to be the choice of Airline and connection to Long haul from Northern, Eastern Europe, and some southern areas these days.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

Kigali but this does have the advantage of being a small airport and of the major airports Singapore.If only Heathrow could emulate

OzTraveller
    Participant

As in life, the moment matters. Did your flight arrive at 2am and the airport was deserted, save for your flight; are you a citizen of the arrival country; did you ride up the front and treated accordingly (TG/BKK for example); etc; BUT no matter what time of the day or night there is no airport in the world that I have ever passed through immigration so effortlessly and graciously as SINGAPORE. Not my favourite country, not my favourite airline but, cease the discussion, they know how to wizz you through immigration and make you welcome more efficiently than any country on earth.

RIlic29
    Participant

For traveling to USA my best experience is PHL airport. Always short queue and pleasant and smart appearing immigration officers.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls