Beirut, November 2012

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

• Deleted_User
    Participant

I don’t know Dubai, except looking out the window of a 747 en route to Karachi. Beirut I do know, and the only problem I had was coping with the heat. In November Swissdiver, I don’t think you will have to worry. Have a great trip!

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks, Simon. Unless we have a bad news tonight from the other side of the Pond, I’ll be in Beirut tomorrow night 🙂

Deleted_User
    Participant

Swissdiver

I’m feeling quietly confident about the outcome.

Send some Lebanese sunshine in my direction.

Bon voyage

Simon

Swissdiver
    Participant

Beirut was fabulous as ever. The only issue is the airport road. If they block it, then the only alternative is to take the boat to Cyprus. Not quite handy. As a result, the occupancy rate of my favourite hotel (that is always fully booked) was only 20%… Sad…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

SimonS1
    Participant

Becky – that doesn’t make any reference to funding terrorism.

Also most history books record that the Maktoums were actually a part of the Bani Yas tribe and took over Dubai peacefully from Abu Fasala in 1833.

There were some border disputes with Abu Dhabi in the 1940s, hardly recent and hardly involving terrorism.

Maybe best to go quietly.

Swissdiver
    Participant

That said, the antagonism is still there. Hence the highest tower in the world (in Dubai) carries the name of the Abu Dhabi leader since the latter was called to the financial rescue in 2008…

SimonS1
    Participant

Indeed, however the UAE has generally been peaceful and anti terrorism.

Well known that Shaikh Zayed loathed Saddam but offered to take him in during the first war if he agreed to go quietly and pretty anti Libya and Iran as well (Abu Musa etc).

However none of that substantiates a suggestion they have been funding terrorism.

SimonS1
    Participant

According to the Dubai press today the couple referred to above were found guilty of having sex in the back of the cab. Sentenced to 3 months in jail but reduced to 2 months and deportation on appeal.

Globalti
    Participant

This is a classic!

Does anybody read “From The Message Boards” in Private Eye?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls