Boeing rolls out 737 MAX 9 today

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

For anyone interested Boeing are rolling out their 737 MAX 9 aircraft live today on the web. The link is here – http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max-9/index.page?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=bca-737max%20|%20max9-rollout&utm_medium=socialpost&utm_content=var:%20owned%20|%20date:%202017-03&sf59474428=1

It’s an aircraft many will be flying in very soon.

Charles-P
    Participant

Some pictures here for anyone interested.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The first transatlantic operator of B737 MAX 8 (which is similar in appearance to the MAX 9) will be Norwegian. But delivery of the first of the MAX 8s is not scheduled until May.

Norwegian to launch transatlantic flights from Belfast and Edinburgh

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Here’s a piece from USA Today with lots of B737 MAX 9 picss. Easily recognisable by its distinctive winglets.

Fuselage is a little longer than the MAX 8 (which will be delivered in May) and its range is a little shorter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/03/07/boeing-rolls-out-first-737-max-9/98799048/

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The 737 MAX 9 is a not very commercially successful re-engining of the not very commercially successful 737-900.

The A321 has wiped the floor with the -900.

The 737 MAX 8 and -800 are a different story, though.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Here’s the facts

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/boeing-plays-down-long-range-a321neo-threat

I appreciate that you are not very good on facts, Charles (thinking a 15 year old project was recent), but even you should be able to grasp this article.

ontherunhome
    Participant

When i choose a flight, I will always choose operators of A320 over B737. I find the 737 cramped, and uncomfortable .
    Long Haul, I have a soft spot for the A330, and of course the A380. The B747 is still comfortable even in the back, as it was designed for 10 abreast, unlike the B777 and horrible B787.

Can’t wait to try the A350.

if its Boeing, I aint going.

Charles-P
    Participant

‘ontherunhome’ – The A320 has always seemed quieter to me (I may imagine this) and the A380 is equally a quiet aircraft. I still have a soft spot for the 747, there is just something about that shape. Agree with you about the horrible 777, the Emirates ten across in Economy is an example of ‘pack ’em in”

AMcWhirter
    Participant

ontherunhome – The B747 was not “designed for 10-abreast.”

Boeing specifically designed the B747 for a 9-across configuration.

At the time Boeing said it had opted for 9-across because the then average passenger was taller, larger and heavier thanks to improved nutrition post WW2.

In the early to mid-1970s I flew B747s with both PA and JL. In both cases economy class was disposed 9-across. Seats were really wide. Legroom was ample and probably 35 ins +

The airlines were happy with 9-across because it meant they had fewer seats to fill. You have to remember that the B747 was a huge capacity leap compared to the B707.

Mass air travel really began to take place by the late 1970s and that is when airlines decided to retrofit their B747s for 10-across.

Ironically today’s economy passengers are even wider and heavier than they were in 1970. And yet the seats they must occupy are the smallest they have ever been.

Here’s a piece of history from the days of Pan Am. It’s a B747 mock-up configured 2-4-3.

http://airchive.com/html/memorabilia/vintage-airline-and-airport-post-cards-and-rare-photographs/pan-am-boeing-747-economy-cabin/1419

——————————————————————–

I know that readers favour economy class in the A350 over that in the B787.

But you ought to be aware that the French long-haul leisure airline Air Caraibes has become the first A350 operator to install 10-across economy seating.

One suspects some others will follow in the years ahead.

Air Caraibes’ first scheduled flight will be Paris Orly-St Denis de la Reunion on August 1.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

The 787 is an interesting paradox.

I’ve flown QR business and it was fantastic, BA business was meh, but BA premium economy is really a great product, spacious and comfortable and the 78′ is quiet, has a low cabin altitude and better cabin air humidity.

On the other hand, I’ve wandered through the economy sections (BA & QR) and tried a seat or two and I wouldn’t fly more than 1-2 hours in those seats – totally hideous for a long haul.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes there is a huge comfort and space gap between business and economy class on Qatar Airways’ B787. It’s made worse by the fact that this airline has no premium economy cabin.

* Regarding Air Caraibes. I made a mistake in that its A350 is already in service on routes to France’s ‘departments.’ It will start operating Paris-Reunion on August 1.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A single aisle aircraft for a medium to long haul flight, is a bit like squashing 10 across on the 777/380 – not designed for the passenger experience.

Lines for the toilet, service carts blocking the aisle – the 737 max may be a brand new a technologically advanced aircraft, but it doesn’t mean it will be a pleasant passenger experience.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Couldn’t agree more, Martyn, a full 737 or A32x on a 5-7 hour flight is not pleasant.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Even worse, Martyn, than a 10-across 777/380. That was the point I made in our March feature “Narrow margins.”

Until recently the thinking was that long-haul, low-cost wouldn’t work because savings weren’t possible. The failure of several budget carriers on long-haul routes provided the evidence.

But the arrival of these revised, essentially short-haul, aircraft like the B737 MAX and Airbus A320LR plus low fuel prices has changed matters.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Boeing has announced that the B737 MAX 8 (the B737 which Norwegian will use for transatlantic service) has been FAA certified.

Deliveries to airlines will commence in the coming months.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2017-03-09-Boeing-737-MAX-8-Earns-FAA-Certification

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls