BD/ LH – how to treat your Gold Members

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

The ending of the BMI LHR – GLA route, although predicted, elicited a surprising silence on this Forum – maybe because of the London/ BA centric focus of most UK posters who engage here?

Anyway, GLA is my airport of choice and so the decision, while commercially understandable, is disappointing. Given years of loyalty and a BMI Gold card to boot, I was waiting with interest to see how they would handle my first post-closure booking which is actually an LH booking in Business, GLA-LHR-FRA-HKG. Would, for example, they let me route the same way from EDI as a way of trying to keep my custom???

None of it – all they offered was a connection from EDI to HKG, using their direct EDI – FRA service which entails an overnight in FRA on the return. Not very attractive……. The only other options offered would be to retain the original booking but pay on a seperate ticket for GLA – LHR – GLA with BA with all the connection risks that that would entail. Maybe LH/ BD could have covered that cost? Or a full refund and the chance to rebook at fares that have gone up significantly since my original booking.

So much for loyalty? Maybe BMI/ LH would like to explain their service logic???

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I think you will find that they will not explain as they probably don’t really care.

I was a long time Gold Card Holder with BMi when they were still British Midland in the days of the one class diamond service. I stopped flying with them some time ago when they could not decide what kind of carrier they wanted to be.

The best thing to do in these situations, I have found, is vote with your feet. you could ask LH to assist with the additional costs you will incur but I do not think that you will get anywhere with them.

Please let us know how you get

Jonathan

PatJordan
    Participant

Tom, there is a thread here about the GLA closure.

I’m a Diamond Club Gold card holder, and to be fair, find BMI pretty helpful when any issues arise.

I sympathise with Tom (and many others) at the loss of GLA – LHR. Here in Dublin we have had a reduction in DUB- LHR frequncy along with a dilution in cabin service. I guess thats the price we have to pay for cost savings. But I really miss the cooked breakfast on the early morning flight to LHR!

I share the trepidation of what will become of BMI at the hands of Lufthansa: my enquiry about status match was very abruptly dismissed out of hand, my positive remarks about excellent service (MCO-FRA in Business) didn’t even merit an acknowledgement. This is the opposite of BMI who are exemplary in responding to both negative and positive coments.

Commercially based decisions are necessary to remain in business, but why alienate the core of loyal repeat customers without whom no business can survive.

Hopefully senior LH personnel read this forum and take note.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

I was very loyal to BMI and held Gold for 9 years. In all that time I didn’t even join another FF club even though I regularly go double or treble over the miles requirement for requalification. BMI do not care about the past and past loyalties, they are only looking at future revenue and future Gold card holders. For me, first issue was\the removal of the Washington service, then came Chicago, then Leeds to Copenhagen then Leeds to London, then Glasgow to Manchester and now, Glasgow to London. I don’t fly to Moscow or the middle East so,
    I now have absolutely no reason to fly with BMI and have finally joined another Alliance and another FF program starting at the bottom.
    I have gone from being a strong supporter to someone who now has absolutely no time whatsoever for the airline.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls