BA’s T5 Lounge Brochure

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• continentalclub
    Participant

To be clear, this is not a ‘security’ loophole; this situation is (perceived to be) related to Customs.

It is only an issue, however, if you genuinely believe that passing through an arbitarily-decorated ‘green’ or ‘red’ channel makes any difference whatsoever as far as the likelihood of you and your luggage being intercepted is concerned.

The dichotomy is that, while the notion of ‘passenger profiling’ is derided as being impossible to introduce as an effective means of reducing the likelihood of mass destruction when processing departing passengers, the concept is employed day-in, day-out in the prevention of smuggling and import contraventions by those arriving.

Whilst the passenger/courier/runner passes apparently unhindered (potentially, and on occasion) through the FCC, there are dogs running all over the baggage halls, and be in no doubt that Customs Officers are watching CCTV and from behind mirrored glass throughout the airport system, including domestic baggage reclaim at regional airports.

The alternative is the US-system of insisting that all bags are reclaimed at first point-of-entry, which is time-consuming and inconvenient to the majority of passengers and which doesn’t automatically increase the likelihood of contraband discovery.

Whilst you may or may not like it, wherever you are in the UK airport system, you’re being watched. Or indeed sniffed. Sadly, it’s usually only when you’re trying to bring in more tobacco than you’re allowed, rather than when you’re trying to be altogether more destructive…

JordanD
    Participant

I’m not sure how it works at BA’s other domestic connector points (ABZ, GLA, MAN or NCL) but at EDI, there is a dedicated belt for luggage off a domestic flight, but which has originated ex-EU (belt 6, for those who care). This is in a screened off, but completely accessible area which has signs around it, saying that only passengers are allowed into this area (ok, this is neither full-proof, nor do I know how widely obeyed it is). At the exit to this area is a customs officer post, signs informing people of their responsibilites and a red phone to connect to Customs.

From experience, the “busy” BA dept from LHR to EDI, serviced by an A321 in the mornings usually has all its luggage directed to this belt due to the sheer number of passengers connecting at LHR.

Daytripper
    Participant

Going back to the start of this thread- T5 BA lounges.

I’m a huge fan of BA, their lounges are fantastic etc, but surely I can’t be the only person on this forum put off British Airways by VK’s fawning sycophantic comments about the airline. Such relentlessness actually has a negative PR effect.

Sometimes less is more.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The reason i raised the subject about the T5 ‘loophole’ was to again highlight that the apart from the superb BA lounges within T5, the design is flawed.

Yes i do beleive that an entry into the UK should retain the red and green channels if for no more reason than it provides a credable and visible customs point and an opportunity for items to be declared for business purposes as well as one less of an excuse by someone caught that they were waiting for the red / green channel.

It is not a ‘dichotomy’ as my learned friend continentalclub describes, but rather an essential part of airport procedure for their to be a customs point for decarations to be made and cheats to be caught. Imagine the outcry if immigration policy was decided by some automated method. This is not about profiling, but about a presence to catch cheats and also allow honest people the opportunity to declare purchased items, ESPECIALLY if these items are going to be insured and therefore proof of import, may be needed.

The best way to enable a quicker process through Heathrow is to close down all airport shops, restrict hand lugage to 1 piece only – but this will never happen as Heathrow is the biggest retail park in Europe and that my friemnds, is the start of another subject in its own right.

So, yes, i do believe that the loophole we are all aware is both a security risk (in that anything that cant be smelt, could be smuggled) and a Governement revenue channel loss. For those that think the red channel dont pay their way, then I would suggest a further subject is started “close all customs channels at airports”.

continentalclub
    Participant

MartynSinclair: the dichotomous situation relates to the application of passenger profiling, not the presence of different coloured channels.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Perhaps if the airports considered all parts of the system as seriously as the authorities consider the selling of goldfish, perhaps we would have a far tighter system at the aiports where loopholes are closed, smugglers caught and honest folk able to pay duty on goods.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1262250/Great-grandmother-tagged-selling-goldfish.html

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls