BAs “Piss off Pax” scheme continues apace…..

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• openfly
    Participant

BA have announced that CPT has moved closer to LHR recently, and are reducing the Tier Points on the route. They are now using the LGW-CPT distance to bring the Tier Point earning distance under 6000 miles. But the LGW-CPT route is only short seasonal and a few flights.

Well done the work-experience kid…you’re doing a great job in annoying passengers, especially premiums!

Will Virgin follow on?

4 users thanked author for this post.

MS
    Participant

I think that work experience kid should get a promotion! (Not sarcasm!)

That’s actually clever thinking.

FDOS
    Participant

[postquote quote=1348859]

Is your occupation Sales Prevention? 😉

1 user thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1348862]

Doyle made some pretty ambitious statements about customer experience when he was appointed in late 2020.

Does he still work there?

cwoodward
    Participant

Management’ is to blame of course not the ‘kid’

The distance in nautical miles is 5994 miles
    Nautical mile is one minute of arc latitude = 1852m.
    In measured (non nautical) miles the distance 6016 miles.

BA is incorrect in making the change I believe but others may have differing views ?

sparkyflier
    Participant

openfly thank you for bring this to our attention.

Indeed you are right – until recently CPT was 160 TPs and now it is 140 TPs in J.

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flight-calculator/public/en_gb

This is seriously tight by BA and perhaps the same person/type of person who years ago decided it was a good idea to remove defibrillators from the BA lounges at LHR I seem to recall (but stand to be corrected).

FDOS
    Participant

Sounds like they are following Prof. Henry Muntzberg’s Five Step approach

https://mcusercontent.com/943c55d6970b43a02479a2cfa/files/9a8dfcce-e2d6-ee34-2f30-8d8cf0233974/FIVE_EASY_STEPS_ONEPAGER_1.pdf

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

cwoodward, can I humbly suggest you recalculate your nautical miles to miles numbers!

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1348879]The distance in nautical miles is 5994 miles
    Nautical mile is one minute of arc latitude = 1852m.[/quote]

I couldn’t be bothered to start using maths to work out all this, so I just used Google maps, taking 30 seconds. This shows:
    LHR to CPT: 6,002 miles
    LGW to CPT 5,978 miles

cwoodward
    Participant

GivingupBA why is that please….. I mention the distance in ‘miles also
    It is not my original calculation BTW.

This looks come down to if the measurement is taken airport to airport or city to city and I would expect that your above measurement is possibly city to city.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

LHR to HKG is now 160 tier points. In October 2011 it was 120 then increased to 140.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1349069]

cwoodward, I am sorry I didn’t make myself clear, and also for my late reply. My query was not about the distance, but only about the calculation that 5994 nautical miles equals 6016 statute miles (I believe it does not). Thank you!

FDOS
    Participant

Maybe time to draw a line under this issue?

BA has never used distance as the sole reason for awaring tier points and there have been glaring oddities in the past.

LGWCPT is 5,970 statute miles and LHRCPT is 5995 statue miles, according to the normally reliable Great Circle Mapper.

Unless there has been a siginifcant shift of tectonic plates, neither route would qualify for extra tier points, on a mileage basis alone.

Therefore, it seems reasonable to cnclude that the extra tier points were awarded as an incentive, that the airline no longer believes it needs to provide?

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls