BA’s New T5 Porter Service for First Pax

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

British Airways has been running a trial of a new porter service at the far end of T5 – for the use of Premier, Gold and First travellers.

It’s good to see small changes like this coming in; probably more signs of the influence of Frank van der Post and the ability to invest into customer facing improvements as a direct consequence of efficiencies elsewhere.

Has anyone used it?

IanFromHKG
    Participant

What does the porter actually do? If it is at the far end of T5 then presumably the pax will already have lugged their bags to the desk. Or do they wait by the entrance to identify eligible pax?

VintageKrug
    Participant

No, it’s not for plebs arriving on public transport.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Or even premium passengers arriving in limos? Or being dropped off by their nearest and dearest? It does happen, you know…

My real question, though, is precisely what the porters are supposed to do??

flier74
    Participant

I believe they are waiting at the outer concourse near he FIRST check in with some BA hosts too. If you want to pre arrange, I’d suggest you advise the YouFirst tteam with an estimated time of arrival Ian.
    More improvements to come re Catering on European flights, which will start at the end of October I hear and the flat bed fitted on eventually 6 ex bmi A321 aircraft for midhaul routes in the Business cabin, i.e. Amman, Beirut, Tbilisi, Tel Aviv and Cairos, alongside the cradle seats on the ex BMed/bmi A320s. The first new style A321 is operating already

VintageKrug
    Participant

The porters are apparently outside terminal the far end near the F check in, if your car is dropping you.

I try to arrive on Public Transport where possible, so haven’t come across them yet.

Here is a pic, posted by SFO777 on another site:

http://sfo777.smugmug.com/Other/BA/i-Bd78x4C/0/M/IMG1992-M.jpg

a much improved delineation of the First area, and an attempt to provide a more seamless service.

Let’s hope BAA have changed their mind and the direct route from F check-in to Concorde Room isn’t far off.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Why are just F pax getting this? If BA had any sense they would have more people out there helping people in all classes of travel.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Because people who travel First are better than others, Becky.

lostantipod
    Participant

But it would appear some First pax are less equal than others
    .. people travelling first from T3 … as i am in a few weeks… ?

VintageKrug
    Participant

T3 is more plebby than the other terminals, alas.

Suggest you fly Virgin 😉

andrew.gill
    Participant

VK : great post, thanks for the mid-morning laugh

GordyUK
    Participant

That really made giggle VK!

Flying out of T5 in 3 weeks. Staying overnight in Sofitel beforehand so we’ll have the 20 mile drag-along from hotel to far end of terminal

So are these porters there to take your bags the 20 feet from concourse to desk?? ??

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I have just noticed VK’s praise of Frank van der Post. This guy (Frank) is nothing but a charlatan he has been in that job for too long and made changes that have had little or no impact across BA’s on board products and service. So apart form these porters and onboard Ipads what else has he done?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Yes!

I can see the logic; it’s really the longhaul F customer this is targeted at, and while for shorthaul I always try to use public transport, there are times when travelling longhaul when I need checked baggage and I prefer not to lug that on the tube or HEx, particularly in summertime or rush hour, so would arrive in a car at the far end of the terminal, adjacent to F check-in.

I would therefore never use the tube if I had lots of luggage.

Plus, providing porters from the Hex or Tube station would require many more than the three people allocated to this task as the distances involved – and time taken per passenger would be greater.

Personally, I have no use for this new service as – like every person I know – I have wheeled luggage (Tumi).

However, having seen some of the piles of Vuitton (which, thinking about it sounds like a first-world medical condition) I’ve seen during check-in, this might well be appreciated by many.

I do wish they’d employ a dedicated F/J check in supervisor who could ensure standards are maintained and greet regulars; it would greatly personalise the service and ensure consistency which is a weak point in the F check in (though seems to have improved of late).

I do hope for direct access to the CCR, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls