BA’s Heathrow-San Diego Sandbox Promo

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

I hadn’t seen this, but if it’s a sign that BA is getting back on track as regards innovative advertising, then that can only be welcomed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVdmKr38kx4

VectorOne
    Participant

Didn’t some tea company (Liptons?? PG??) recently use the same format to advertise the quality if their tea some time back? Can’t remember which one exactly.

I’m afraid when it comes to advertising being derivative is never a sign of innovation.

JordanD
    Participant

Clearly someone from BA watched this year’s Eurovision Song Contest – I think it was the Ukraine entry which had the sand art being used … I’m sure it is on YouTube somewhere, if someone could oblige the link …

Irons80
    Participant

Crikey the ‘let’s bash BA for absolutely anything’ is actually quite tiresome and ruins my enjoyment of this forum. Can’t we just celebrate the fact that it’s a beautiful piece of artwork and yes it is innovative, no matter which airline, product or brand it is for. I am happy that it was brought to my attention.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

The new BA ad is absoulately up my street as I am so tired of looking at many of the airline ads all with the sameness.

It conjures up the period of the Beach Boys and carefree spirit in southern California!

Binman62
    Participant

Irons80…indeed very clever and entertaining.

The bottom line however is that the route has been running for some time and this is only now being surfacing in the UK. I suspect because the tag line states “non stop from Europe to San Diego”. This would not go down well among the rabidly anti Europe media in the UK or for that matter the little englanders.

It is cleraly designed for either the USA and European markets and once again demonstrates “London Airways” attitude to the UK market generally.

Perhaps they should just paint Eurpoean flags on their tail fins

edited to correct the spelliing error…

VintageKrug
    Participant

*rolls eyes* once again at the Binman.

You meant “rabidly” not rapidly. And the SAN route has been running precisely six weeks; hardly “some time”.

Glad you liked it Irons80.

I don’t know who does BA’s advertising now (I think it changed a few years back) but let’s hope there some improvement on the well conceived by poorly executed “Sydney” ad which was the last one I can recall which actually celebrated the brand (and, somewhat ironically given events, it celebrated BA’s Cabin Crew – who in large part deserved the accolade, despite the self-destructive elements within that particular community).

Though judging by the response of some, there minds are set and there’s little BA can do to change that.

Thankfully passenger numbers and revenues suggest this is not a widely held view.

Thanks for your posts – we actually featured this video a month or so ago, along with other BA YouTube videos detailing the First experience, the carrier’s new mobile app for Windows, and a feature on BA’s inflight wine experience.

To see all of these videos together, visit:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-launches-video-promoting-first-experience

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

The videos are great.

The reality less so.

Irons80
    Participant

As before, I fail to see what any of this has to do with or is related to the quality of BA’s on board service???
    This is a specific thread about an ad for a service and how beautiful the format / artwork is – why (as it seems with virtually every thread on this site) does it have to be taken into a ‘let’s bash BA’ session? It’s tiresome, immature and quite boring really. And no, I don’t work for BA, or any of their affiliates. I am merely a frequent traveller who enjoys reading about hotels and airlines.

VectorOne
    Participant

Irons80…I would hate for you to think my post was a “bash” at BA.

It was not intended as such. It was, however, legitimate comment on the assertion that the advert was “innovative” when the format has been previously used in UK advertising.

It may be “innovative” for BA in that they have now started to avail of the concept, but Twinings did use it over 2 years ago in their adverts. I would therefore categorise the BA ads as being derivative rather than innovative.

I agree with you that the format/artwork is beautiful. Just look at the Twinings ads which are available to watch on YouTube – especially the one on herbal infusions.

And no, I don’t work for a tea company!!

VintageKrug
    Participant

VectorOne wrote: “And no, I don’t work for a tea company!!”

🙂

stevescoots
    Participant

I will take this route in CW on tuesday, saves schlepping thru LAX everytime I go into SD

AlexSW1
    Participant

Yes, not sure about the ‘Europe’ bit but obviously targeted more at Americans than anything else. Nice spot, love BA, and will grant that, as far as I know, ti is technically accurate to say this is the only flight from SAN to the continent of Europe but…as a rabidly anti-EU type I find it loathsome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls