BA/QR Codeshares

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• nevereconomy
    Participant

Looks as though the QR/IAG relationship is going deeper and we will at some time be able to book QR flights to many destinations with BA code. A good move, I think…..

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Here is the press release

QATAR AIRWAYS AND BRITISH AIRWAYS ANNOUNCE JOINT BUSINESS AGREEMENT OFFERING PASSENGERS MORE CHOICE AND MORE DESTINATIONS

The new agreement will serve more than 70 destinations across the two airlines combined network

28 September 2016

London, UK – Qatar Airways and British Airways’ parent company, International Airlines Group (IAG), today announced a joint business agreement which will come into effect on 30 October 2016.
    The joint business will benefit customers by offering a wider choice of flights, an enhanced network, greater choice of fares and superior benefits for members of their frequent flyer programmes.
    Crucially, the partnership between Qatar Airways and British Airways will allow the carriers to provide passengers with better links and an even more seamless travel experience between the UK, Asia, Middle East and Africa. The joint business will see the two airlines code-sharing on all non-stop flights between the UK and Doha, to offer customers a combined route network which will serve more than 70 destinations. Between the airlines’ hubs of London and Doha the new partnership will offer seven daily non-stop services in both directions.
    Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, commented: “British Airways is an airline steeped in history and prestige and we are proud to be partnering with them to offer our passengers an even greater choice of global destinations. This partnership brings together two world-class airlines to provide an enhanced operation for our passengers with increased daily flights between London and Doha, greater choice of flight schedules, wider range of fares and improved members benefits.
    “Today’s announcement reinforces our already established relationship with IAG and we look forward to welcoming British Airways’ direct flights to our hub, Hamad International Airport, where we can provide passengers with seamless access to our global network of more than 150 destinations.”
    Willie Walsh, IAG’s chief executive, said: “We are delighted to announce this joint business with Qatar Airways which is one of the world’s premier airlines. This agreement will benefit customers by giving them access to more destinations through Qatar Airways’ extensive network. It will also allow us to provide easier journeys with better aligned schedules, more frequencies and improved flight transfers. This partnership follows the commercial agreement with IAG Cargo signed two years ago and enhances our relationship with Qatar Airways further.”
    This agreement will also strengthen the oneworld alliance and enable it to compete more effectively on the included routes creating greater competition and increased options for consumers.

Ends
    For media enquiries, contact Paul Charles / Philip Allport / Gordon Smith / Katie Moine / Alana Fogarty at The PC Agency:
    +44 (0) 207 768 0001 or via [email protected]

Note to editors:
    About Qatar Airways:
    Qatar Airways, the national carrier of the State of Qatar, is one of the fastest growing airlines operating one of the youngest fleets in the world. Now in its 19th year of operations, Qatar Airways has a modern fleet of 190 aircraft flying to more than 150 key business and leisure destinations across six continents.
    A multiple award-winning airline, Qatar Airways was awarded World’s Best Business Class; Best Business Class Airline Lounge and Best Airline Staff Service in the Middle East at the prestigious 2016 World Airline Awards managed by international air transport rating organisation Skytrax.
    Qatar Airways is a member of the oneworld global alliance. The award-winning alliance was named the World’s Best Airline Alliance 2015 by Skytrax for the third year running. Qatar Airways was the first Gulf carrier to join global airline alliance, oneworld, enabling its passengers to benefit from more than 1,000 airports in more than 150 countries, with 14,250 daily departures.
    Oryx One, Qatar Airways’ inflight entertainment system offers passengers up to 3,000 entertainment options from the latest blockbuster movies, TV box sets, music, games and much more. Passengers flying on Qatar Airways flights served by its B787, A350, A380, A319 as well as select A320 and A330 aircraft can also stay in touch with their friends and family around the world by using the award-winning airline’s on-board Wi-Fi and GSM service.
    Qatar Airways is one of the world’s leaders in sponsoring global sporting events, including the strategic team sponsorships of FC Barcelona and Al-Ahli Saudi Arabia FC. Qatar Airways’ strategy reflects the values of sports as a means of bringing people together, something at the core of the airline’s own brand message – Going Places Together.
    Qatar Airways Cargo, the world’s third largest cargo carrier, serves more than 50 exclusive freighter destinations worldwide via its Doha hub and also delivers freight to more than 150 key business and leisure destinations globally on 190 aircraft. The Qatar Airways Cargo fleet now includes eight Airbus 330Fs, 10 Boeing 777 freighters and two Boeing 747 freighters.

About IAG:
    International Airlines Group is one of the world’s largest airline groups with 541 aircraft flying to 274 destinations and carrying almost 95 million passengers each year. It is the third largest group in Europe and the sixth largest in the world, based on revenue.
    Formed in January 2011, IAG is the parent company of Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia and Vueling. It is a Spanish registered company with shares traded on the London Stock Exchange and Spanish Stock Exchanges. The corporate head office for IAG is in London, UK.
    IAG combines leading airlines in Ireland, the UK and Spain, enabling them to enhance their presence in the aviation market while retaining their individual brands and current operations. The airlines’ customers benefit from a larger combined network for both passengers and cargo and a greater ability to invest in new products and services through improved financial robustness.
    The airline industry is moving gradually towards consolidation though some regulatory restrictions still prevail. IAG’s mission is to play its full role in future industry consolidation both on a regional and global scale.
    British Airways and Iberia are members of the oneworld alliance

JohnHarper
    Participant

OMG, imagine thinking you were booking Qatar Business Class and ending up in Club World where you would have to choose between pudding and cheese and eat at the crew’s convenience.

There will be tears before bedtime here I think.

openfly
    Participant

…..and 8 across seating!

nevereconomy
    Participant

I was rather selfishly only thinking how great it will be the other way round – book BA and get QR !

stevescoots
    Participant

pay QR pricing get BA……

Rockhopper
    Participant

I’m guessing from Al Baker’s comments that he’s never had to endure a flight in Club (as I just have on a 777-200 and which will be my last ever flight in Club) in a dirty, damaged, narrow seat in an 8 across configuration, poor catering, poor IFE, and a crew who were completely disinterested. Prestige and world class are not words/phrases that I would associate with today’s BA I’m afraid – unless he’s talking about cost control and profit.

JohnHarper
    Participant

It’s best not to believe anything Al-Baker says. He changes his stance more often than most change their socks and often what he says completely contradicts what he said last. He postures, gestures, whines and whinges about anything and everything with a level of arrogance not quite fitting for an employee in a service industry which is all he is at the end of the day.

A few years back I was due to fly DOH-FRA and was told I was being downgraded. When I got to the bottom of why it was because Al-Baker was on the plane and he wanted business class all to himself. After a certain amount of discussion I was rebooked on LH in F for my inconvenience.

alainboy56
    Participant

@rockhopper — ABB did say ‘steeped in history and prestige’ — this is true, he did not lie, but it is being rather economical with the facts of today’s BA — especially with regards to the latest announcement of BOB in Europe.
    Anyway those of us in the know will not make any mistake of booking the wrong flight on the wrong service. We are all quite expert at that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls