BA/QF codeshare fares

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Deleted User
    Participant

I am about to book my January trip to Asia and checking both BA and AY fares. The BA website ex Italy, is quoting fares of Euros 700 more if booking a BA aircraft rather than the BA codeshare using a QF aircraft. Can anyone explain why – and I am sure its not the loadings as this is happening on what ever date I use. I prefer the BA product over the QF product.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I think your last sentence gives away the answer. Many people prefer the BA offering hence the higher price to push people towards QF. I’m not sure, but I believe they share the revenue anyway.

Ausline
    Participant

Interesting because in Aus and NZ, BA fares are always cheaper than QF in F, J, Y. Having just done an RTW with QF/BA in J – QF food, wine and service far superior to BA. BA seat on the 747 better than QF as it goes flat however the A380 is a better product than the offerings on both carriers 747’s.

Deleted User
    Participant

these fares appeared on BA’s own website, albeit the Italian site. Both fares had BA flight numbers, but the ones operated by Qantas were 700 Euros cheaper than the flights operated by BA. The outbound legs were all the same price. I dont understand how BA are able to charge a higher fare on a codeshare just becasue their clubworld seats are being used instead of the Qantas business class.

Of further interest, is a website where by chance I have been able to schedule Finnair outbound and BA return for a fare of around the usual amount I pay and an even stranger one where I can get a Finnair (BKK return) ticket less than the price |I paid recently from the UK, in Business.

I would gladly pay a travel agent a fee to undertake these searches for me becasue although I am finding these querks in ticket prices and routings, I really dont have the time – but it is interesting neverthe less.

PS – I check with the airline each time I buy these tickets.

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is not *always* sensible to call up an airline if you notice an especially good deal.

Sometimes you might be fortunate to have stumbled upon a “fare error”. While this is not the case here, alerting an airline to such an error (which will often be honoured) can spoil the party for others….

BA is able to charge more because it is able to offer a consistent fully flat bed in Business Class. Qantas is not yet in that position, and is also suffering from the fall out from the exploding engine issue.

The matter is moot, however, as revenues are shared between QF and BA on this route.

Deleted User
    Participant

Thank you VintageKrug for addressing the issue. I only contact the airline to check the validity of the ticket not the source. If you notice I havent published the name of the web site re my latest ticket, but £1700 return for AY and BA in business is a very good deal.

I am still curious though about the code share prices for BA/QF.

I do not understand how BA can have 2 different prices for a flight going to the same destination being advertised with BA flight numbers (irrespective of it being a codeshare). The outbound price is exactly the same, its only the inbound price that differs. Yet through 3rd party sellers, (i.e. web sites) this differential doesnt occur. I know pricing is complex, but I would have thought that thorugh the airlines own web site, these differentials would not be so blatant.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls