Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

• OzTraveller
    Participant

Only trial runs at present. During the test run, the train is operated on weekdays, from 07.00-10.00 hrs and 16.00-19.00 hrs, departing from the terminal every 20 minutes. The trip takes approximately 30 minutes from the downtown Phya Thai terminal to Suvarnabhumi Airport, with 4 stops at Ratchaprarop, Ramkhamhaeng, Hua Mak, and Thub Chang stations along the line. The Airport Link is expected to be put on commercial service in August 2010 but don’t hold your breath.

A recent race by the Bangkok Post sent 1 reporter by the train and another by taxi from a downtown location to the airport. After getting a motorbike to the train station and then the train, 1 reporter took 46 minutes to get to the airport. The other reporter took a taxi direct to the airport in 30 minutes. Both cost around the same price. So, it depends where you are staying and at what time you travel although the freeway to Suvarnabhumi never seems to get clogged once you are on it.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

They should re-run the “race” but make the taxi driver drive within the speed limit – because there is no way to do that journey by taxi in 30 minutes without breaking the speed limit!

Also, I dispute the claim that the cost of the two journeys is almost the same. I live within fifteen minutes of Big Swampy and travel to the airport by taxi on average once a week. The cost is THB130 so there is no way a ride from Phya Thai is going to cost THB150………!!

A significant advantage of the skytrain over a taxi is that you should arrive alive and not totally stressed out by the taxi ride!

OzTraveller
    Participant

I merely report the news as I read it … any taxi ride in Thailand is stressful … taxis can travel at 0-10 kmh in downtown Bangkok at peak hour and it’s even more stressful .. just living in Thailand is stressful ..

living in Thailand is stressful !!

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Dear oh dear Oz Traveller…….without wishing to move off topic, I am sorry you find living in Thailand stressful! I really enjoy it, but then I also travel a lot in the region on business thus making regular trips out of Thailand – that may be the saving grace for me….who knows!

Do you travel to Singapore often? I have just started a new topic about additional security checks on arrival at Changi – only for flights from BKK….do you have any similar experience?

Zoowatch
    Participant

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link is opening 23/08/2010.

Ride from the Airport to Phaya Thai BTS will cost 20 baht on the City Line, or 10 baht if you travel only 1 to 7 stations.

The Express Line will cost more at 50 baht from Suvarnabhumi to Makkasan. These are promotional fares expected to last until the end of 2010, and there’s a high likelihood of that being extended until mid-2011.

The Express Line and City Line trains departs every 15 and 20 minutes, respectively. The Express train offers larger storage space for luggage and bicycles + toilet.

The check-in facilities at Makkasan Station is not expected to operate until the State Railway finishes the setting up of subsidiary company ‘SRTET’ expected by the end of 2010. THAI is keen to set up city check-in facilities right from the beginning, and may extend such service to Star Alliance passengers at a later date. The airline expects city check-in passengers to pay for the Express Line ride to Suvarnabhumi himself, of course.

Modifications are being made to Phaya Thai BTS station at the moment and should be ready by 23/08 to allow direct connection with the ARL station (passengers need not go to the ground level for transfers).

Zoowatch
    Participant

JamesMoloney5

A single journey from Phaya Thai to Suvarnabhumi on the City Line should cost you 40 or 45 baht after the promotional period or 20 baht during the promotion (23/08 to end of 2010).

OzTraveller

You don’t have to buy the 150-baht ticket on the Express Line, if you have a cabin-size luggage. Just use the City Line trains.

boeing747-400
    Participant

Very good. I appreciate it. City check in would be great for all Star Alliance partners!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thursday 26th August – landed BKK and off aircraft at 14.50, through immigration at 15.00, bags waiting on conveyor belt. In car by 15.05 and arrived downtown at 15.35. This airport is now working. Immigration hall was busy and most booths had immigration staff and yes I did use fast track.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Martyn I agree that Immigration is much better now – sometimes I don’t even bother with the extra 50m walk to the Fast Track Immigration facility, because the regular one is not busy.

The only part of your arrival experience that I am amazed at is the fact that your luggage was on the conveyor belt waiting for you. Luggage delivery is the worst aspect of the arrival experience and I have never had my luggage beat me to the carousel at BKK…..never.

The only airport that consistently has my luggage waiting for me at the carousel is Changi!

tarisingh
    Participant

have a long wait in BKK – anyone has any experience of the Thai lounges?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

James – it was on the belt because the first cargo that is offloaded at BKK on a Thai longhaul is First Class. Bear in mind I also had a buggy from the aircraft to immigration. The drive was slow, but still faster than walking. It does amaze me though that Thai was not able to park closer to the immigration hall, but then of course I would have had to wait for my luggage!!

Tarisingh – if you can get into the Thai First class lounge, it is certainly amongst the worlds top lounges. If you have Oneworld Gold/Emerald, the BA/Qantas lounge is very good.

tarisingh
    Participant

thanks martynsinclair – am traveling business class so NO first call lounge for me! do you know the difference between royal orchid and royal silk lounges? someone told me one of them offer head massages??!

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Hi Martyn, the reason they cannot park closer is because they have moved the transfer point for int-dom flights and the buggy is not allowed to traverse that point – don’t quite know why.

I am a regular F passenger from London and Paris (I do the journey 6 times a year) and even in First the luggage rarely beats me to the carousel. A couple of weeks ago I was traveling from Singapore to Bangkok and we waited 45 minutes for our luggage. Do you know the reason given for the delay? A tropical rainstorm………

I mean guys, you build an airport in Asia and the luggage is delayed 45 minutes because of a rainstorm……………..!! Come on, who designed this airport and did not factor in tropical rain downpours?

Don’t get me wrong – I live in Bangkok and I travel 200,000 miles a year so I see a LOT of this airport. I think Thai is trying to improve its product (First class on the new 777-300 from Pairs is fantastic) and the First Class arrival experience is great, but it has a long way to go on the regional routes – still using ancient aircraft that I was using 20 years on the Hanoi-Bangkok route!

Tarisingh, the ROP lounge does offer foot massage, and head massage and full body Thai massage (if you have the luxury of time on your hands), but I have only ever used them when flying in First and they are free to F passengers. I believe you have to pay if travelling in Business……but not quite sure.

So if you are travelling Business but you are not an ROP member I am unsure if you can use that particular ROP lounge.

The Royal Silk lounges are good for what they offer, food is not a patch on the Business Class lounge in Singapore, but the seats are a comfortable place to spend some time – but no massage!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The G-ds were on my side today. There were 4 of us in F, 2 transiting to SIN and 2 into BKK. Flight was light and the weather was excellent. Hence the reason why I always date my flight reports.

I have had my fair share of suffering at the belt on the shorter Thai flights even in F.

Tomorrow is another day!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls