Bad weather disrupts flights, trains and roads

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Lots of weather related stories today.

Birmingham

Stansted

Luton Airport

Atlanta

Virgin Trains

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Much disruption in mainland Europe too.

Dusseldorf, Amsterdam all badly affected. Zurich is at a standstill.

At the Port of Calais, P&O’s ferry The Pride of Kent has run aground.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/277898/article/2017-12-10/le-ferry-echoue-vient-de-s-extraire-du-banc-de-sable#

Defcon5
    Participant

Just heading back home after spending a couple of hours at Heathrow. Trying to get an accurate status of our flight proved extremely didficult with BA staff at T5 who were very nice but didn’t know what was going on and not very empowered to actually do anything.

Understand the weather causes problems which is fine, these things happen however,it would be good for everyone (customers and airport staff) if the communication was better from the top actually telling people what is really happening.

As it currently stands, the staff directed me to the website/app to try and change to the next available flight whilst the website is telling me to contact a member of staff at the airport who will be able to assist with the same change.

Might make it home for the second half of the football at least.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, de-icing is causing additional delays

Gold-2K
    Participant

So I guess this is why I have been on hold for 27 minutes on the GGL “Priority” helpline. I gave up earlier today having held for 30 minutes. I hope the “non-priority” callers have a comfortable chair, its going to be a long evening !!

WearyWeagie
    Participant

BA cancelling flights and then switching off the phones doesn’t help!

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Swissdiver
    Participant

LHR T5 was an absolute disgrace today! Landed at 3:50pm. Waited 2 hours onboard for us to have a parking stand. I can accept this. But, then the immigration queue was madness. No distinction EU/non EU, no fast track. Another hour and something (as usual only half of the machines were operative but it was enough since all were stuck in the queue). I was relieved … until I saw the luggage hall! No flight indication. Luggage everywhere. Total mess. I could make my way but not sure everyone has (plus they shut down the luggage report desk asking passengers to go online). Another 90 minutes. All in all, 5 1/2 hours from touch down to exit in a total mess. A disgrace!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Not of use to many, but Lugano Airport also closed. Plenty of snow so best to travel by train.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Luton still suffering from delays

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Swissdiver
    Participant

Received today from BA:

As we weren’t able to deliver the service we wanted to, we would like to offer you a gesture of goodwill and offer you a voucher for £300 off a future flight.

Not bad… Shall also ask a fee for appearing on these Twitter pictures published by the Standards? 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls