BA/AMEX Plus card charges

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• MarcusUK
    Participant

I recently after getting the Gold VS card, was offered the Black Amex.

Already I have made bookings with VAustralia, Malaysian Airlines, & KLM from Amsterdam. None have included any 3% fee added, & the exchange rate was not less than the xe.com rate also a very good source. There is a fee of £115, but as others have mentioned, free upgrades, a large bonus when starting, etc.

Nationwide – I have been with them for some 15 years. In deed they have introduced “Some” charges for cash withdrawals overseas, but the list of countries is on their website. It does not include any countries I visit, including within the EU, Far or Middle East or Australia.
    Nationwide debit cards, apply the banking rate & not the tourist rate, with no fee, no commission, I save approx 15-20% over the year for cash in every country, it appears, & have done for a long time. It is a very useful card abroad, via the Visa network.
    The credit card also does not charge in every country, haven’t had commissions or %’s added ever, & the exchange rate always at the level of the banking not tourist rates.

VintageKrug
    Participant

You can currently get 6,000 BA Miles by taking out a BA Premium Plus American Express:

http://www.americanexpress.com/uk/britishair/britishairways.cgi

If you can get a referral from an existing BA Amex cardholder, you would both get a joining bonus and you should explore that option amongst your friends and family before joining via the link above.

Binman62
    Participant

Following years of free Amex premium plus membership for my wife ( I hold a partner car on her account) she has had a letter saying that from September she will have to pay the £150 as she no longer holds a companion product. The fee will be prorated for the part of her membership year already passed.

Nothing has changed in our household, I still hae a platinum card and she has a card on that account and I have a BA Amex PP card and she also has a card on that account also.

What is a companion product and has anyone else had a letter like this?

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Yes – the only card product that qualifies you for the discount on the BA card is the Platinum Charge Card. I assume this is what a companion product is.

Up to now any product (including the platinum credit card) qualified – and it is this that has now been withdrawn.

Moreover the principle card holder on both accounts bust be the same to get the discount.

olliewb
    Participant

Sorry if this question has been repeated but if I hold an Amex Platinum personal card, can I get a BA Amex Black card and save on the £150 fee?

GoonerLondon
    Participant

Yes – you pay only £30 extra – but it must be the full charge card (Annual fee of £400 ish) not the much cheaper credit card

olliewb
    Participant

ok thanks – do you complete the registration and then call up to amend the pricing (from £150 to £30) or should they recognise as part of the registration that you are a platinum holder?

GoonerLondon
    Participant

They will do it automatically

Binman62
    Participant

Following recieved from Amex.

Companion Card is any other Card except a Centurion Card, a Platinum Charge Card, a Harrods Card or a Gold Charge Card.

Would appear that the BAPP card fee of £150 is here to stay. Not sure how you will now get it for free or a reduced rate if Amex biggest spenders cannot get one on the above cards.

Has anyone else had the letter telling them they now have to pay. I am told they have identified 10,000 customers.

A-BAFlyer
    Participant

Apologies if not appropriate, but I would be delighted to recommend anyone who wants to apply for a BA Amex card. If you apply for a Premium Plus card through a recommendation you get a 19,000 mile bonus after spending £3k (I would also get a 9k miles bonus). Those 19,000 miles are worth a great deal more than the £150 fee for the card.

Waddsey1
    Participant

I don’t think AMEX is such a bad deal when used abroad. I’ve always been pleased with the rates I’ve been given, particularly when I compare them against the rates on my VISA card. My colleague recommends the SAGA card but I like receiving BA smiles, sorry, miles and therefore I’m happy to stick with AMEX.

Binman62
    Participant

Waddsey1…Agree with you. I have found that AMEX are highly competitive in terms of foreign transactions. I was recently in Indonesia where it was widely welcomed but one afternoon had to use my Mastercard. The same day I had used my Amex a number of times and when posted the Amex exchange rate came in at around 13810 rph on average. This included their separately listed commission charge. Mastercard was just 1578rph. 1.8% more expensive than Amex.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I have cards in £,$,€ and CHF which cover the greater part of my travelling needs. If staying for a longer period in a hotel outside the above currency zones, I’ll use my cc as a guarantee and then transfer the estimated cost of my hotel direct to them about midway into my stay. Not only do I get a better ROE but often I can negotiate a 3% discount by not using my Amex.

I’ll take $ cash from my $ account etc so avoid all exchange rates and commissions.

My last money saving tip is for my expenses in S. Africa. I transfer Rands, mainly from my Dutch account and pay all the charges. Not only is the rate much better, saving about 5%, but the total charge of € 8 is a third of just the s. African banks charge.

No one amount is that great, apart from the hotel and air fares, but the savings added up over my annual spend for myself and family amount to a considerable sum

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls