BA: Where should they start to in Americas, Africa and Asia with their new slots?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 406 through 412 (of 412 total)

• sparkyflier
    Participant

@AnthonyDunn

I do like different ideas and in this thread Ulan Bator has not come up yet – yet you make a business case for it! Not many of us have that much confidence that BA mngt is interested in anywhere slightly “exotic” in the non conventional sense.
    In other threads I have suggested an Almaty/Urumqi routing using 767, but as said today you could ahve a 767 LHR-Urumqi-Ulan Bator.

Re Africa, credit to BA for starting Monrovia, but reckon there are more opportunities and think the following would work:-

LHR-Dakar-Freetown-LHR – maybe a triange routing. 767
    LHR Abidjan-Monrovia and v.v. 767.
    LHR-Abuja -Port Harcourt/Douala on separate days.
    LHR-Durban-Maputo and vv 3 x weekly 772.
    I imagine that SN & AF looking after Conakry would be enough for that city.
    Windhoekis very underserved from Europe, and this could work in combo with Gaborone, Botswana, or as a tag to Luanda or somewhere on the way.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Even since my geography lessons (I’m still waiting for my Atlas, BT!) I have no idea where Ulan Bator is.

Look east young man 🙂

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ VintageKrug – 18/04/2013 15:56 GMT

Admittedly, Ulaanbaatar (lit: “Red Hero”) or Buyant Uhaa (if you are Han Chinese) is somewhat to the east of Reims so it may be verging on the “exotic” – which is more than can be said for native Mongolian “cuisine” – using the latter term in the loosest possible sense. UB is, err, Moscow and one hell of a long way east towards Lake Baikal and then due south – or approx 2.5 hours flying time NNW of Beijing.

As well as some of the world’s largest untapped deposits of coal, copper, gold and silver, it also combines wild west style frontier spirit with utterly naked capitalism and, regrettably, what goes with this: corruption. But they’re doing a lot better than many in their situation.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Do they have flush loos, champagne and Radio 4?

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ VintageKrug – 18/04/2013 19:58 GMT

Flush loos, yes, showers yes, Champagne yes – there is even an entirely decent French restaurant not far from Parliament. And…. the Chinggis Khaan Irish pub….!!!! Like you, I had never realised that the Irish were the first to explore and “culturally colonise” central Asia.

But Radio 4? Over the internet. Otherwise for a country of under 3 million, the number of Mongolian TV channels is astonishing. You can get Korean soap operas if that’s any consolation. Can thoroughly recommend Mongolian throat singing – it’s unlike anything else in the world.

sparkyflier
    Participant

VK, with your geographic knowledge perhaps it is no wonder some posters on this forum assert that you work for BA management. . . 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 406 through 412 (of 412 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls