BA watching the ‘start journey in AMS’ dodge

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

• Binman62
    Participant

ivornomates……The continued emphasise on taxes that are imposed by governments is letting airlines including BA off the hook. The taxes fees and charges that are applied to tickets are considerable no matter where you fly from. However invariably the fees collected by the airline and kept by them through fuel and other surcharges are generally 100% more than the taxes imposed by governments or the user fees imposed by airports. the decision to use EX EU flights is due to fare difference not taxes fees and charges. Indeed BA fees increase as they charge by sector.

For example LHR HNL the fare is almost £4000 in club for Nov departure. Of this total BA charge £295 in fees whilst the departure tax is £120 and the total fees are £195. BA fees are almost 2.5 times the tax!!

If you go to MILAN to start the fare is 45% less at £2200 of which £349 is tax and fees. Of this BA take £256 or almost 3 times the level of government taxes and airport user fess!!!.

The break down for MIL HNL is detailed below.

Until airlines stop charging such ludicrous surcharges there can be no justification for reducing government taxes. The airlines will simply raise fares or surcharges and the traveller will see no difference.

For the fare to HNL from MIL the fees breakdown is as follows.

Below the

Italy Passenger Service Charge – Italy EUR0.58
    Security Bag Charge – Italy EUR2.07
    Council City Tax – Italy EUR4.50
    Embarkation Tax – Italy EUR5.56
    Security Charge – Italy EUR1.81
    Passenger Service Charge – United Kingdom EUR45.91
    Customs User Fee – USA EUR4.18
    Transportation Tax(Departure) – USA EUR12.37
    Transportation Tax(Arrival) – USA EUR12.37
    Animal & Plant Health User Fee (Aphis) – USA EUR3.80
    Immigration User Fee – USA EUR5.32
    Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee – USA EUR5.70
    Passenger Facility Charge EUR3.42
    Total government, authority and airport charges* EUR107.59
    More information

Government, authority and airport charges Flight taxes, fees and charges
    These are included in the price of your ticket and are levied by airport operators, governments, or other authorities, excepting US originating flights where government, authority and airport taxes and fees are stated separately.
    Some airports may levy local taxes, fees or charges against passengers upon arrival or departure. These are not included in the price of your ticket and should be paid locally.

British Airways fees and surcharges Per adult
    Fuel Surcharge** EUR268.00
    Insurance and Security Surcharge** EUR12.00
    Total British Airways fees and surcharges EUR280.00

RichHI1
    Participant

Binman, this interests me as I have an on going discussion with AA on ticketing. Business Class AA Nov 7 returning Nov 14 LHR-HNL (Business International First domestic) is UKL 2689.53 on the website which is borken down as 2 x 1249.50 for fare and 190.53 for taxes and secuirty charges. However when the eticket comes through although the total fare remains the same a portion (the surcharge) is moved from fare to taxes. This is explained as follows AA show real fares and government taxes on the website however IATA rules say that airlines must put surcharges in the Taxes box as it helps its members collect the surcharges. I am also intrigued why BA want UKL 4.47 extra in taxes as the amount charged both carriers in identical. Is this the credit card booking surcharge?

Binman62
    Participant

RichHI1…… I am no expert but believe that transparency rules innUK require that the actual amount to be is shown clearly from outset. The ticket however must indeed show the breakdownmofnthe fare. Normally codes are used such as YQ for surcharges. It is irritating that airlines refer to fees and surcharges as taxes and I have recentl had a very difficult time with BA over just this issue. Fees were repeatedlyndescribed as taxes which was wholly misleading. It suits the airlines to do this as the is now clearly a belief that all extras are taxes when in reality the extras are often for the carrier and frequently many times the level of taxes.

Separately that is a good fare ex lhr even ifnitnisnon AA metal….where dinyou find it? BA.com quoting £1931 each way and posting AA as first choice due schedule bu on BA flight number.

RichHI1
    Participant

http://www.aa.com, slect us site and under other options select UK resident (UK site sometimes has higher fares). I commute between LHR-HNL so I know these fares well.

MarcusUK
    Participant

This issue has been quite a feature recently, and also Alex wrote an article in the magazine.

I have used VS Upper class tickets to Cape Town starting in AMS, which is also 50% less than starting from LHR! They include an option either for KLM or BA Business class AMS-LHR sectors. I always take KLM.
    Expedia or Ebookers enable you to also start from AMS, and u can often choose your connecting airline, which sets aside the link with one Airline. With the mix, it tends to be less of an issue, certainly booking.

Having said that, i use KLM from UK and they have the best EX UK, a little like VS/ BA cross Europe marketing out of AMS. All trying to take the other markets business and transfer passengers.

I have an apartment now in Amsterdam, so the final sector fares will always be used, as i am back in my Dutch base. But as others have said, a night in Amsterdam is always a great treat even if you have to then fly back to the UK the day after. I would think it worthwhile to save so much, and add on an extra cultural treat each side.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@ LPPSKrisflyer – the reason I fly ex-Europe and try to stick with BA is 3 fold;

1. The price is excellent
    2. I collect BA miles and tier points as a hobby
    3. I can rely on the BA NCW product. No wondering is it going to be flat, wedgie or cradle seat. Each and every time, a perfect nights sleep.

Its that simple!

However, following prompts from various people, I intend trying Swiss on my next trip, depending on price.

@ Binman, my ticket was purchased through the Italian BA website. Looking at my eticket, I can not find a fare basis code that I presume is what you are asking me for.

I can only presume that the ticket t&c’s allow flexibility for Asia and not the destination you seek.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls