BA & VS face massive fine from Nigerian Authorities

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Anonymous

JordanD
    Participant

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-asks-ba-virgin-to-pay-nigerians-n3-3bn/102999/

(Only source thus far, although reported as well by Sky News)

It has been documented that BA has been having issues with Nigerian Authorities over their Lagos flights of late, but this appears to take the cake. The fine BA & VS is facing is N35,250,000,000 ($235 million).

The comments underneath make for good reading (or chuckling, depending on your viewpoint). Anyhow, one to watch with a bit of interest ….

openfly
    Participant

….amazing…from the scamming capital of the world!!

One can only assume that the Minister was refused a free First / Upper Class ticket, and this her way of retribution.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A $5,000,000 donation to the ministers favorite relative, errr I mean charity should get the problem solved!

LeTigre
    Participant

This is shocking.

They are still seeking to fine for price fixing which affected a few thousand Nigerians on surcharges back in 2004-6. This is more than the UK fine!

As regards the duopoly, if Nigerian carriers do not wish to compete, the market will prevail.

Bucksnet
    Participant

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=35250&From=NGN&To=GBP

Around £140 million. This story is from the same source as the BA flights being cut, which hasn’t transpired.

Tete_de_cuvee
    Participant

This may be wrapped up with their displeasure in not getting the same amount of slots into London’s main (LHR) airport as it provides BA and VS into Lagos.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203611404577044020651885592.html

BA have had their access curtailed from one per day to 3 times a week at varying times resulting in some crews having to spend 2 nights in Lagos – nice.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Ha ha!

LeTigre
    Participant

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/17/nigeria-ba-virgin-idUKL5E7MH3L720111117?feedType=RSS&feedName=tnBasicIndustries-SP

The Reuters article shows that the Nigerian government is clearly delusional, it simply does not understand that it cannot barge in to free market economies, defend it’s own airline vehemently and be taken seriously.

Is it true LHR-Lagos is the highest yield route in the world?

Let’s recall their stupid complaints:
    -high fares compared to Ghana (they have no power over fare setting, how shocking)
    -misuse of fuel surcharges (same as the first)
    -high Heathrow landing charges (clearly a conspiracy…)
    -price-fixing (just throw that one in why don’t you!)

In conclusion the Nigerian aviation ministry is clearly run by monkeys, who have now a personal vendetta against BA and VS, whom their press describes as mega-carriers(!), and are perfectly determined to make life difficult for those airlines.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Anyone flown Arik Air? If its anything like the old Air Nigeria no wonder no one flies them!

JordanD
    Participant

I believe that the interiors of the A340-500s that Arik Air has are Kingfisher build, design and specifciation: Kingfisher decided to defer/cancel its order after they were built (and fitted out) so Arik Air picked them up for a song.

I think that’s the story, at least.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Though I don’t disagree with your train of thought, you might reconsider the use of the Phrase “run by monkeys” given the context.

It’s crazy to act like this, but parts of the Nigerian govt. are known for their “sponteneity”.

VS and BA should simply pull out and wait for the clamour for them to return on any terms.

Arik Air is, by all accounts, a surprisingly good carrier.

http://www.arikair.com/uk/Home.aspx

travelworld
    Participant

Agreed. It sounds like the same sort of tricks are being played as was the case with Virgin Nigeria. I recall a former senior manager there telling me of the day he got a phone call from a senior minister in the Nigerian Government to tell him that unless his friend (who had reported 30 mins late for final check in and was being denied boarding as a result)was admitted on to the flight he woudl ground the airline. No wonder Virgin pulled out.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Sounds like history repeating itself when from memory good old B Cal had similar “issues”with the sunshine boys in the Nigerian Government…which eventually contributed to its demise.Also its nice to know that Lagos Airport (Murtalla M)is still operating and the fuel pump that I /we installed in @ 1982 is still doing its job….Evertually escaped via Rio when a certain Minister suggested that maybe I couldnt leave the country…all good fun…Later he became ..err President.

PukkaChukkas
    Participant

Hengli, whilst its shocking its probably more than a few thousand pax affected, regardless of how crass this is, and a lot of those pax will have been expats not Nigerians.

Mrs Pukka and I lived in LOS in 2004/5 and flew both BA and VS after they moved flights back from PHC to LOS – we usually flew F and sometimes J on BA and “Upper Class” on VS – it was a rare day when there was any availability in any of the “premium” cabins – given both airlines flew once a day, thats 2 flights with probaby 100 “premium” pax between them each day, 700 a week, potential 35,000 per annum!

VK/Lugano – I have flown Arik, once, when there was no other option – the aircraft are fine buts its a pretty grim service level that they offer – they are, however, better than Virgin Nigeria were after the Nigerian Eagle rebrand!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls