BA -Undrinkable wine in Club Europe!

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• NTarrant
    Participant

Infidel – I can’t comment on QF 767 MEL-SYD as all my recent flights have been on the 737-800, also for comparison BA don’t operate 767 generally on the short flights to places like Northern Europe. The wine surved in CE should be different to Y.

Try the Champers, I’m told its good (Pommery)

David
    Participant

On my 40 minute flight from Doha to Dubai next week on Qatar Airways, I will be able to choose from 2 (full bottle) reds and 2 (full bottle) whites. Both colours of which will be premium (the selection seems to change monthly so it will be interesting to see what is on offer in March).

The champagne on offer has remained constant on this route over the past couple of years, Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame, which retails at LHR dutyfree for roughly 80 GBP per bottle.

The wine offer on this route does not change, regardless of the (size of) aircraft operated or number of premium pax. For example, my 2 flights on this route in February consisted of an A320 (12 pax) and a 777 (42 pax).

I am fully aware of the differing cost bases for some of the Gulf carriers – vs European ones – but an interesting comparison in itself.

LeTigre
    Participant

I agree with Rich, I would not waste money on CE flights, regardless of beverages, cause the hard product is lame! Why can’t BA just shove some WTP seats on board (new ones). Surely with the whole slim design it wouldn’t take much more space? Anyway, I often lament that airlines do not install enough AVOD systems- they should learn from Virgin America, and Fly Dubai who both earn a fortune from charging for movies etc.

LeTigre
    Participant

Anyone else enjoy a spot of bumping?

LeTigre
    Participant

Anyone else enjoy a spot of bumping?

Bucksnet
    Participant

As I have said before, old WTP seats that are being removed from some of the long haul fleet, fitted 2×2, would be a major improvement!

rferguson
    Participant

Hengli BA wouldn’t put WT+ seats on the shorthaul aircraft as they would then lose the flexibility to ‘convert’ rows from Club to Eurotraveller and vice versa.

Infidel put forward your suggestion to BA regarding full size bottles. It probably has already been considered but for one reason or another hasn’t been adopted. If they let you know why, let us know!

I know there has been a focus on improving the wine offerings on long-haul flights in J and F. This has now been rolled out so maybe there is something in the pipeline for shorthaul also.

Having flown QF J domestically I agree, the product is far superior to BA’s. The difference is that the largest proportion of QF’s J class domestic passengers are point to point corporates so QF still have to offer a competitive product. The huge majority of companies in europe now have a ban in place on J class travel on shorthaul flights – and it’s as if BA have essentially given up on trying to attract this (now tiny) market. So, essentially the only reason J class still exists on BA shorthaul flights is to feed to longhaul premium traffic. So a J class fare can be sold from Calgary or Lagos to Lisbon.

RogEdwards
    Participant

WT+ seats would be a big improvement but would lose the flexibility of a variable CE cabin. Say they had 4 rows of 2×2 on an a320 – great – but at the moment they can have 4 rows of 2×2 (middle seat free) or 12 rows of CE. I can’t see BA moving to fixed J seating on short haul for this reason.

(( Added – sorry posted before reading rferguson’s reply. Also I imagine the full bottles of wine is a Union thing – they will claim there is not enough time to do it without another couple of crew members to unscrew the bottles or take the corks out.))

RichHI1
    Participant

Rferguson, interesting you think J class in Europe only survives for connections. As someone who can not fit in Coach class (except exit row) as there is no leg room, I hope it continues even though what you get for your money in Europe is very little. Luckily I only fly to Europe on business.

NTarrant
    Participant

Whilst connections to long haul routes will play an important part, I don’t see many connecting customers on the routes I use or have used in the past around Europe.

Putting the wine issue aside, at least with BA it is inverably cheaper than its European competitors in business class/CE

RichHI1
    Participant

NTarrant , please can you elaborate? The only European flight i take with any frequency is LHR – LiS and the fares on TAP and BA are identical if bought in advNce and BA is more expensive last minute in Business.

First-Pax
    Participant

Put the price up and bring back First Class in Europe! Then we might get some proper service and catering…

NTarrant
    Participant

Certainly Rich – These were in December, but the pattern has followed over the last few years at least.

LHR-AMS-LHR KL £599 BA £364
    LHR-BRU-LHR SN £672 BA £352

Can’t comment on LIS as its years since I have been there, perhaps I should have said Northern Europe rather than Europe per se.

Maria121
    Participant

I don’t like wine offered in traveling. Like to have good stuff of red wine always of mine own choice.

scott66
    Participant

This could become quite an interesting thread.

My preference is for French/Italian wines, I’m resigned to having to drink the likes of Argento in Economy. I am well aware that wines taste different at 35,000 ft.

I recently had the pleasure of flying from T5 and using the fantastic Galleries lounge, I’ll miss out the majority of glowing compliments. The important point was how impressed I was with the selection of wines in the lounge – a mix of new world and good quality french wines – approx half a dozen each of red and white. I was slightly disappointed that once on board the selection was either two white and two red. the wines were acceptable, but not special. The whole business experience (check in, lounge, seat, meal, crew, BA’s newest 773) was still up with the best.

Contrast this with Thai airways – the SAS lounge in LHR T3 is good, buffet and wine selection fair. Once on board the food is a banquet and the wine list is a delight, well thought out and a perfect match with the menu. I would say if anyone can find a bottle of wine in any of the BKK lounges they’re a better man than me.

The final thought is the wine selection in the Galleries at JFK felt somewhat down market compared to LHR T5

I feel both airlines have reduced the onboard selection of wines in recent years. Let’s hope when better times return the wine list gets reviewed.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls