BA Transit Pax Numbers

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

In the first five months of 2023, British Airways carried an estimated 4.9 million transit pax passengers through LHR, based on booking data. Totaling about 32k pax connected every day.

Western Europe to North America was its biggest regional market with 1.4m. At the country level, UK-US was top, then India-US, Italy-US, Germany-US, and India-Canada. The US accounted for almost 40% of connecting pax and India 10%. BA’s top 15 most popular markets were:

– Delhi-Toronto
    – Mumbai-Toronto
    – Delhi-Vancouver
    – Chennai-Toronto
    – Edinburgh-Munich
    – Mumbai-Newark
    – Edinburgh-Dubai
    – Istanbul-Mexico City
    – Dublin-Sao Paulo
    – Malaga-Belfast City
    – Glasgow-Larnaca
    – Dublin-Cape Town
    – Aberdeen-Dubai
    – Mumbai-JFK
    – Hyderabad-Toronto

Some of the above surprised me, Glasgow-Larnaca especially. Interesting that 5 of the top 15 are Canada to India, no doubt helped by the ME3 being restricted, although now we have EK/AC working together, I wonder how entrenched the travel patterns will be as more direct options open up. EK/AC this winter has 25 weekly rotations between Canada and DXB, up from 10 in 2019.

4 users thanked author for this post.

sgvancouver
    Participant

I am not sure what I am missing here? If the US accounts for 40% but only 2 US routes appear in the top 15 and Canada accounts for 5 ….. I just don’t understand the #’s.
    It states that Italy – USA is #3 at the country level….. yet there is not one Italy USA route that appears in the top 15? Someone please explain. TY

AndrewinHK
    Participant

sgvancouver, the US accounts for 40% of the total volume spread across many more routes, same goes for Italy. You will note JFK is not in the top 15 at all despite being the number 1 route from LHR. Canada is more concentrated you have just 3 cities served by BA, YYZ/YUL/YVR, and clearly high volumes of connecting traffic from/to India.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rferguson2
    Participant

Istnabul to Mexico City is the most surprising for me!

2 users thanked author for this post.

onajetplane
    Participant

Surprising on many levels.

I also just picked 3 different random dates in September to look at Toronto – Delhi return. The connections are actually pretty bad – out of the consistent 3 different options offered – Connection times in LHR on YYZ-DEL = 3hr45min, 9hr or 12hr30mins… similarly in reverse connection times in LHR on DEL – YYZ = 1hr15mins; 6hr25mins or 10hr20mins. So essentially on the outbound routing only one sensible connection (3hr45mins) and on the return is there any? 1hr15mins is tight and the alternative of 6hr25mins is far from ideal. Tres bizarre!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls