BA to Start Chengdu Route

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

• VintageKrug
    Participant

Once there is certainty over deliveries of airframes, refurbishments have been completed and now the slot issues have been resolved, I’m certain we’ll see some announcements on new longhaul routes and increased frequencies possibly for the summer and certainly for the winter 2013 timetables.

I would be very hopeful that Fort Lauderdale FLL will be one of those, however it does lend itself to Gatwick and there are currently no 767s based there…….

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thank you for your reassurance VK 😉
    So if there were 6 longhaul destinations to be added in the next months, where do you think they should be? And another question, where would you like them to be?

These can include extensions to exisiting routings.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

BA has now confirmed the launch of its new London-Chengdu route, commencing September 22, 2013.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/ba-confirms-chengdu-route

Announcing the new route IAG’s CEO Willie Walsh said:

“I have visited China on many occasions and last year went to Chengdu to see for myself the progress that has been made at the airport. It is truly impressive and shows vision and ambition.

“I am delighted to announce this new route which demonstrates the importance of mainland China to British Airways and our commitment to grow our presence here.

“Economic growth in China is continuing to outstrip that of most other countries, and Chengdu is not only the capital of Sichuan Province in the South West of China but one of the country’s largest cities.

“Since 1990, Chengdu’s economy has expanded rapidly, consistently delivering double-digit rates of growth. We are confident that the new route between Chengdu and London will prove popular with customers travelling between the two major economic hubs.

“China is also a fascinating venue for leisure travellers, and the region is famed for its giant pandas, rich culture and excellent cuisine.”

VintageKrug
    Participant

Good intel, Le Tigre!

Almost three weeks ahead of the “professionals”!

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA are not using a 787, but a 777. 4 class as well.

I would of thought they would use a 767 or 787 and go daily instead of a larger plane a few days a week.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Great news, as they say, “that’s more like it”. I thought a 3 x weekly 777 was the way to start, and that is what they are doing. I wonder what is next. . .

Hippocampus
    Participant

Excellent news and proof (not that it was required) that VintageKrug and I were absolutely right that new long-haul routes to Asia would be announced. I’m sure there will be more announcements in 2013.

HedgeFundFlyer
    Participant

Yes, well done, BA. Hopefully this will be a roaring success and up to a daily service before long.

With no apology, I am re-posting a link to an excellent article by the Daily Telegraph’s ever interesting Ambrose Evans-Pritchard. It gives some insight into the historical significance of Chengdu and the role it will yet play in China’s ongoing rise:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/9701910/Hi-tech-expansion-drives-Chinas-second-boom-in-the-hinterland.html

millionsofmiles
    Participant

Remembering my first trip Chengdu in the late 90ies, I had to take the ferry from HKG to Shenzen and then a flight from there. Or also via Beijing was an option.
    Times they are a changin…..

Martin33
    Participant

Has anyone managed to book tickets on this route with BA as yet? I’ve tried to book on ba.com but at present it is only showing non-direct flights. Thanks

LeTigre
    Participant

http://www.routesonline.com/news/36/the-hub/173632/british-airways-brings-chengdu-link-to-london/

Routesonline indicates that the UK is the biggest market for Europe-Chengdu flights so this flight is a guaranteed success. Another factor that makes it a likely success is the cargo prominence of Chengdu. KLM, the only European carrier currently present in Chengdu is rumoured to make money without a single passenger on the aircraft (I have heard similar rumours of the Virgin service to Shanghai).

Most notable to business travellers is going to be the geography of Chengdu. BA probably has a Chinese partner up its sleeve, and with Chengdu being in the far west of China, the connections are likely to be easy, convenient and time-efficient. Add into the mix the new terminal facilities and suddenly CTU becomes the new gateway to interior China.

VintageKrug
    Participant

FAr from many people saying BA’s strategy is poor in not being an early adopter, I’d say they’ve been wise to let other carriers start up with indirect services, bearing all the costs of a start-up route, and then BA has come along all guns blazing with direct services where demand has already been established.

Another feather in Willie’s cap!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Perhaps he’d be better off saving the feathers to pad his groin for the day he gets a knee in it. That will wipe away the smug smile.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Henkel.Trocken – 19/12/2012 15:55 GMT

Don’t know about you but personally, I have grown comprehensively bored of the sporadic tiffs between the Bearded One and WW.

Rather than a knee in the groin, perhaps they should both be enjoined to get themselves trained up and have five rounds in the ring with, if needs be, a points verdict and then be done with it. All sponsorship monies to be donated to the victor’s charity of choice. I for one would stump up a pony just to put an end to the background grinding of teeth between the pair of them.

Otherwise,

@Simon33 I too have tried getting on the BA.com website to check out booking options through to CTU next Autumn and can only find the indirect services via either PEK or PVG and back via HKG. If BA were going to do another Seoul-style route launch fare, then I’d love to take advantage of this.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls