BA to launch Marrakech service

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Nice. RAK!

Splendid news to hear that BA are going back to Marrakesh (RAK).

I visited in the last year before GB Airways (a BA franchisee) was sold to Easyjet, and enjoyed the country hugely.

Plenty of boutique resorts now springing up, not just in the capital but also in the mountain and coastal regions.

Not so sure about the three days a week schedule though as Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday is hardly ideal for the weekend break market. I suppose it depends on the flight timings…

alexlondon
    Participant

Great news. Only direct flight is currently with Easyjet. Alternatives are Iberia (via Madrid) on Saturday, Sunday and Tuesdays, or Royal Air Maroc (best avoided) with a stop in Casablanca. I had to buy a non refundable Iberia business class return on this route yesterday for an eye watering £1,100. We need competition to this fabulous destination and this is a very welcome return.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And just in time for the new MO:

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/marrakech/

Potakas
    Participant

On BT’s article says that :

”The new three-times weekly service will be operated by B737s and A319s, departing on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays and returning the same day.”

So, will they start serving LGW with airbus?

VintageKrug
    Participant

BA already use airbuses intermittently on Gatwick shorthaul, when demand warrants it.

Travellator
    Participant

I find this new tactic of competing with low cost ex LGW surprising.

In light of the 4 BA flights a day to Malaga from LGW in April competing with EasyJet, Aer Lingus, Monarch and Thomson leaving NO direct flights from Heathrow to Malaga and now new Airbus with NO converter seats is this the reincarnation of GO !

VintageKrug
    Participant

To be fair with almost 100 shorthaul aircraft in the fleet the number of new shorthaul airbuses without convertible seating is about three or four. They are few and far between.

Bullfrog
    Participant

I remember taking GB Airways from RAK via Casablanca (CMN) into Heathrow about two years ago.

Let’s hope ground security at both airports is significantly better than when I flew.

The crew on the CMN – LHR routing confirmed my criticisms about the suspect security after we had touched down at LHR.

VintageKrug
    Participant

There are concerns, which I also experienced, though I am not certain posting such concerns on a public website is a sensible thing to do….

Potakas
    Participant

I sent an email to MO asking about opening dates, here is their reply.

Dear P,

Greetings from Marrakech and many thanks for your email and interest in Mandarin Oriental Jnan Rahma, Marrakech.

Unfortunately do not have an exact opening date yet, but we anticipate that the hotel will be open sometime during the second quarter of 2011. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group, the operator of Mandarin Oriental Jnan Rahma, Marrakech, is working with the owning company on the completion schedule for the hotel. The opening date of the hotel will be announced in due course. We have in the meantime placed your name on our database and you will be kept informed of the opening date as soon as it becomes available.

For your information, Mandarin Oriental Jnan Rahma is serenely nestled between the soothing desert landscape at the edge of the Palmeraie, and the awe-inspiring Atlas Mountains. We are located only 25 minutes away from the famous Marrakech Medina and Jemaa El Fna Square. Each of our lavish accommodations is an entity of beauty, with artistic details finely crafted by hand. All of our 161 accommodations and suites are situated either in the Main Palace or in traditional Moroccan Riads, set around fountained courtyards. Every accommodation boasts king beds, oversized marble bathrooms with a separate dressing area and ornate outdoor living rooms, with daybeds for relaxation and from where guests can enjoy the fabulous views

You may find additional information on our website . You can also find our e-brochure online for your reference.

In the meantime if you should have any further queries or if there is anything further that I may assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know. We hope to welcome you to Mandarin Oriental Jnan Rahma in the not too distant future!

Kind regards,

Bullfrog
    Participant

@ Vintagekrug

Posting security concerns on a public website should ensure the professionals responsible for airline security wake up.

I discussed the security issue on board the aircraft with both the Captain and Club Cabin Manager. They confirmed their awareness of security issues at both Marrakech & Casablanca.

I trust anyone reading this post that works in the airline business will be responsible enough to ensure the matter is not overlooked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls